• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Anyone replaced the dim touchscreen with brighter one? HP FB500

tedbragg

Curious if it's possible to swap out this hard-to-see touchscreen on our HP FB500 with one that's much brighter. I've asked our local HP techs and they just laughed. There's a VGA port near the power switch...might try that out.

bannertime

I don't think it's going to be as simple as plug and play and I doubt that's a VGA but probably a DB9 port for the tech. I couldn't find any pictures of it, but you'll know right away by the number of holes. If it's 15, then it could be a VGA port, if not, then it's a DB9 and you won't be able to do anything with it. If you want to get hands on you can probably look into replacing the backlight behind the lcd screen; if that is even possible on this machine.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
Most or all of the motherboard ports are dead once the OS loads - it's a highly narrow write of OS. Even USB keyboards won't work, only PS/2 lol. (Keep one around for bios issues!)

I haven't done it, but according to my memory it's VGA for video, Serial Data for touchscreen data, and power. Hardware switching to another screen should be easy since that is a standard touchscreen data method, software is a different story. That OS is pretty strict in it's operating parameters - I'm assuming it's linux based and does not support anything extra of OEM configuration. That means a new resolution for your new screen won't work. You should be able to upsize screens at the same compatible resolution/screen size, or possibly upscale but only at exact ratios. If you check your BIOS you'll find the resolution should be hard-set, then just choose a screen upsize from there.

Sure anything is possible, but not everything is worth it lol. Those little printers are a nightmare, hence why they are littered across the world with low mileage for next-to-nothing. If it's worth it to you or a project, those are the details that should work. But equipment productivity in mind only, I would deal with it for a year or two if you can make a better printer your next major purchase. Of course I don't know what your situation is! The spice of life is that you can strategize and do things however you like :)

Now if you DO get it working, post it back here so we see the outcome!

greysquirrel

it should work...troubleshooting a hdd failure/display failure you can plug in any standard monitor and it will work. And you can access the bios on boot to enable keyboard support.