• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone running a home project?

Jburns

Welp - stuck at the house I figured it was time to remove the carpet- install hardwood stairs

upload_2020-3-22_10-44-47.png

ikarasu

Not in quarantine yet... but I'll be doing the same as you!

I was remodeling my garage 6 months ago and never found time to finish. Half the walls are painted... my central vacuum is sitting on a bucket with the piping all taped up to the wall.... I never got around to finishing it, I figure this will be the perfect time.

I also plan on decluttering my house - I have way too much stuff I dont need, and no space for it.

the stairs in my house are the onlything I dont have done in hardwood, they wanted an arm and a leg to do them... But not I'm thinking of taking that project on also, thanks!

Jburns

So the standard treads are 10.5 inches deep. These new hardwood treads are nice- prebuilt with wrap-around- and come 11.5 inches deep.
Thinking of keeping the 11.5 depth, and just trimming to fit the width. The old MDF treads will be cut back to square - no overhang.
upload_2020-3-22_11-38-39.png

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We do so many schools with the times tables going up their stairs. Luckily there aren’t many stairs in schools because anything after 10 steps and I’d be screwed

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Edit...

I botched what I originally wrote, but long story short, I would think you would want to remove the existing treads and rip the new treads to the proper depth so the nose doesn't extend past the stair skirt.

Last edited:

rjssigns

Finishing up my torpedo heater project. Will work on it this afternoon and try to get it buttoned up. Reassembled the critical bits last night to see if it still ran. Yup, fired right off and burns clean.
Shop heat was set at 59. Got to 94 in matter of minutes. Had some paint to dry. You know how it is.:D

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Cool...I did the same beginning of last year. Same process nearly. LOTS of custom cutting to fit the new treads, as it seems our stairs were built on a Friday around 4:00 and cerveza time had started. Sheesh. But Turned out nice.

Attachments

• stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 101