• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone still using pigment inks?

SignsNowOH

Was wondering if anyone was still using pigment inks? I think for the next 6 months we're gonna be using a FJ-50. Any pros or cons with this decision besides print durability?

wes70

Yep! Still using pigment inks. I have a hp z2100 which I use for indoor printing and short term oudoor stuff. I was thinking of purchasing a solvent or eco-solvent printer, but I have a wholesaler that is good, reliable and on time...so what's the point!

SignsNowOH

anyone else have any tips for getting by with a pigment printer for a few months? can i use any of the solvent media with the pigment printer? primarily oracal 3651

wes70

Solvent media will not work. You need a media that is coated, suitable for aqueous printers. Check out Lexjet, Sihl, and Magic Inkjet for coated media.

I assume that the inkset is aqueous (water based), and the colorant in the ink is pigment-based. If that is the case, you will need to use inkjet-coated media, which tends to run 3-4x more than comparable uncoated PVC media.

By the way, the colorant in all solvent inks are pigment-based, as are the colorant used in all UV-Curing inksets.

Bob