• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone tried/heard of retrofitting a Roland BN20/A so it can print magnetic materials?

dorine

I could really do with printing some magnetic stuff but the Roland makes that not possible, wondering if anyone has tried to retrofit the roland changing out the steel for something else or adding something to make it not stick to the steel?

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
As the BN-20 is the low end model, it is even less suited for printing magnetic media. I still wouldn't recommend doing it with the more production style models either. We did try a while back on our SP-300V and VS-300i and it didn't work out great, even using the manufacturers recommended method (flipping a sheet upside down and attaching it, so that it repels the sheet being printed), almost had a few head crashes, the risk to cause a lot of expensive damage is too great.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We tried and tried printing magnets for one of our largest customers, and the biggest challenges we eventually ran into were the weight of the roll, and the quality of the material.
Even when you printed smaller rolls there was always quality issues with the surface coating.
Eventually we came to the best solution we've found - printing to 3M IJ35c-10 (economical vinyl) and then laminating that, and then laminating AGAIN to the magnet roll with the laminator.

We also eventually decided that using the plotter to cut them was a waste of time and material as the weight of the material caused the rollers to slip and cut incorrectly.
We now hand cut them in production and use a corner rounder when necessary.
The customer does pay more for more labor but this way produces a quality end product (and satisfied customer) every time.

Novadon

LEF2-200
Wouldn't a flatbed printer be the choice for magnetic signs? Or are the smaller flatbed project size constraints somewhat of the issue there?
Just curious. A Roland LEF2-300 could do up to a 30" x 13" is why I ask. Or BUNCHES of small multiples in one printing, for that matter.

Last edited:

Sign Pro Salina

I could really do with printing some magnetic stuff but the Roland makes that not possible, wondering if anyone has tried to retrofit the roland changing out the steel for something else or adding something to make it not stick to the steel?
I don't think running magnetic thru a roll fed printer such a as a Roland is a good idea. Too much time trying to set it up so that the mag does not stick to the platen & then hoping you don't have any head crashes. We print on cast vinyl so it's as thin as possible, laminate with cast laminate. The apply to a quality magnetic roll stock.

netsol

a couple years ago, i wantrd to fabricate a platen out of aluminum
i lost interest in the project & we print on cheap vinyl, laminate & laminate again to the magnetic roll

it would stil be a project worth trying, if "short run" magnetic signs is what you need

we were going to use to satisfy one customer. his interet in the project cooled (and truthfully, our interest in making product for this client cooled as well, for other reasons

Rmurray321

I print them on a VG3-540 as I’m currently waiting on a UV to be delivered.

It is a monumental pain in the ass. 45 degree blade and surprisingly light pressure will usually do the trick. But I can usually only do a few rows before the alignment catches up with me

LiqueColor

Ok….how about this? Magnum Magnetics sells the sheets unmagnetized to overcome this issue. After printing and cutting they have a hand held and auto feed magnetizer (built by them) that lets you then magnetize the sheet or individual magnets. I first saw this work in a trade show with the Label Runner desktop print and cut system. Very cool that Magnum Magnetics has this product.

Rmurray321

Ok….how about this? Magnum Magnetics sells the sheets unmagnetized to overcome this issue. After printing and cutting they have a hand held and auto feed magnetizer (built by them) that lets you then magnetize the sheet or individual magnets. I first saw this work in a trade show with the Label Runner desktop print and cut system. Very cool that Magnum Magnetics has this product.
Magnetism for me isn’t an issue, j just tape some 1mm sintra on the front and back of the printer. The bigger issue is the magnet weight pulling and tugging during the cut