• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone upgraded to Mountain Lion yet?

CES020

If you don't own a Mac or just want to bash apple, start your own thread please. Can we get through one thread of people talking about apple products without it being a flaming war? Let's try it. It's easy- just don't reply.

That being said, any apple owners upgrade to Mountain Lion yet? If so, are you happy with it? I upgraded, and I'll say this in advance, I don't run any equipment off of it, so it's fairly easy for me to deal with. I did notice CS5.5 wouldn't run without a a Java update. Other than that, I'm kinda liking it so far.

Really like the notification feature, and how you can get text messages from other mac's, ipads, or iPhones. It's really nice to be able to respond to a text message from my computer.Also like the reminder coming over to the OS, so now it's all integrated with the phone/computer. I like the Notes feature too. I find myself using Notes and Reminders quite a bit now to help manage tasks and ideas. I was already using them on my phone, but now it's a lot easier, plus I get notifications on the desktop for things now, which is awesome. Safari seems substantially faster to me. Not sure if that's real is my local computer, but the pages seem to load faster. Didn't care about the game center stuff, I don't use that.

I started to use try out the dictation on an email, but that message creeped me out, knowing that it was sending the data to a server to figure out and while doing so it was going to send my contact information. While I understand why it needs to do that, I still don't like that idea of anything, anywhere, anytime, accessing what I consider very private information. Maybe I'll give in on that one over time, but for now, I'll do without the dictation.

The mail program had to do a migration of data over to the new OS. I didn't like that, it did concern me slightly, since any time you do something like that there is a risk (I have it all backed up, so I'm good if something went wrong), but it all worked out fine.

This is the first time I've upgraded ANY operating system so soon in it's release. Since I don't run anything off this computer, I thought I didn't have too much to lose, since I had already read that Adobe hadn't reported any major issues.

It doesn't look like a major release to me, but it does look like some nice polishing of what seemed to be a decent OS. Overall, I like it so far.

Anyone else? Found anything you like that I missed?

WildWestDesigns

Alicia had gotten a notification about it and had thought about it for her Mac Air, but she is one of those people that really doesn't like upgrading an OS when the computer didn't come with it. She is more of a buy it at the store and not have to deal with everything kind of person.

She does run Painter on it though and it's fairly older version, so that's always an issue if it will run on the newer OS. I think it's at the point that Corel wouldn't support it anyway, so if it didn't work it falls under the heading of "too bad".

rjssigns

Only on Snow Leopard and I prefer to stay one generation back with an OS. Then I wait for the pioneering souls such as yourself to find the flaws and the remedies.
Ain't I a stinker?

CES020

Only on Snow Leopard and I prefer to stay one generation back with an OS. Then I wait for the pioneering souls such as yourself to find the flaws and the remedies.
Ain't I a stinker?

No worries, I'll take the risks for you :)

If I ran stuff off it, other than some dye sub printers, then I probably wouldn't have jumped on it either. I'm sure there's a lot of catching up to do with drivers for it.

One thing I am really digging right now is the notes and reminder. Been using it all day. Went out on a job this morning to do an install, needed to remind myself to buy some more materials for jobs coming up next week, I put the reminder in my phone, when I got back to the shop, it's on my reminder list for things to do. I'm really liking that a lot. Seems simple, but it's a very helpful thing for me, and managing my day, keeping track of things I really need to make sure I get done.

Mail seems a little weird. I've woken my computer up several times now to see the symbols next to the accounts that the connection was broken. Hit the "get mail" button and it wakes them all back up and it's all fine, but it's happened quite a few times now.

Not sure what that is, or if it's something to do with the way they created the "powernap" for the macbooks, where even though it's sleeping, it still gets mail, etc. Who knows? It could just been my internet. I'll keep an eye on that.

It's got a lot of facebook and twitter integration, neither of which do much for me, but if that's your thing, it's really packed into this OS.

rjssigns

I take it your iPhone is synced with BlueTooth?
I'll have to tell the wife about the Twitter integration. She is closing in on 6K followers for her blog. Anything to make her life easier.