• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone use Fine Cut 8 for Illustrator?

I am having a problem with printing and then cutting. When I set the files up in Illustrator the simplest think just say I want to print a word and then cut it. Well when I do the frame extraction is creates the cut path without having a path for the inside of O's D's P's R's A's etc.............

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

petesign

a couple of ideas. first try converting text to outlines, and select the word. then click the cut selection. on your next screen, you will see a preview pane.. click that and it will show you all of the cuts it is going to make.

Are you sure you aren't clicking on a frame extraction instead of the letters you mean to cut? A frame extraction makes an outline only.

I guess that is where I am stuck. I was doing a select all and doing a frame extraction. Which works fine for everything I have encountered besides text. And I have some door decals for a fleet that have thier logo in the art and when I try to create the cut layer it wont grab cut the inside of the letters. The only way I can get it to do it is if I do the "move to cut layer" but then it doesnt allow me to print, only cut. So I have tried to copy the layer first then create the cut layer and and then paste the copied art to a print layer. That works but I have had issues with getting it all to line up correct so that after print and laminating the cut paths are in line with the printed art.

I know I am doing something wrong.

petesign

select your frame extraction with your selection tool, and hold control and click the letters you want to cut... then cut selected paths.

I also dont necessarily print from the same file i am cutting.. if you are using registration marks, you can make them before you print - saving the file there and printing in rasterlink.. then go back into illustrator and just select the objects you want to cut. as long as you have your register marks you can change anything you want after print.

WrapperX

Yeah - do what THEY said. That sounds about right. Frame extraction generally only FRAMES what you have selected so anything on the inside of that selection doesn't get outlined. This is typical of all Finecut Software vs. I've seen.