• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone use one of the large UV Flatbed printer for doing print all over cotton shirts

videorov

They can print on many diffrent types of material looks like but wonder
if they could print all over cotton shirts that you would lay down on the bed. Do any of these flatbeds have vacuum tables or something on the bed to make things sit still.
Im thinking about buying a large one since they can print on many diffrent materials and wondered about the cotton shirts too.
Im going to ISA in Orlando to check some out and see which one I want.
I know they are not cheap but I have the funds.
Im not really going to use it for signs but for my own artwork and other stuff.

SignManiac

You should have no problem printing on fabric but I would question the durability for long term exposure...

CentralSigns

There is a machine you can put the shirts on a special holder that carries the shirt into the printer. They are nice and print direct to the shirt. Too slow to be a money making machine.

videorov

There is a machine you can put the shirts on a special holder that carries the shirt into the printer. They are nice and print direct to the shirt. Too slow to be a money making machine.

Yea the auto silkscreen machines with a large platter for all over prints
is fast once things are setup. I was just wondering if there was something
to do it all. I really don't need big volume for this custom artwork special
runs anyway. But I do need it to last for a bit. I will have to ask some of
the companies about how long they would last, when Im at the show this
next month in Orlando.
I need to do some large things, thats why Im looking at the large flatbeds
over say a 16 color auto silkscreen for now.

Aklaim

UV Inks are skin irritants. I would highly advise to not attempt to make clothing with them.

sowinski_t

At a previous shop I ran an OCE 250GT and we ran tests on basically every material we could get our hands on, including a variety of fabrics. This flatbed has a vacuum table to hold down the substrate, as well as a roll to roll option. However, what we found on MOST fabrics is that the ink would flake off because a cotton tshirt has a certain amount of stretch to it, and the ink has effectively. This might be different on other machines running different inks, maybe somebody else can chip in with their two cents.
Long story short, we didn't have very much success printing on cotton tshirts. Or anything that didn't have a "solid" surface like carpet for example. We had pretty good success printing on everything from wood veneer to mirrored glass to brushed aluminum...

artbot

i like how they hacked the IR paper load sensor with an external shining down on a piece of aluminum. ...note taken.

jnataros

We UV flatbed print shirts all the time, but our printer has an oven to cure the soaked in ink not reachable by UV light. This step has been important to us.

We use a WP digital Virtu RS 25 w/oven option mounted underneath