Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use Signgold before?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SignNutz, Jan 12, 2007.

1. SignNutz

SignNutz Member

Dec 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Hi all,

I'm looking at trying to upsell a window sign from white vinyl into gold vinyl, and I found an advertisement in an old issue of Signcraft for SignGold (www.signgold.com). They claim it's as easy to cut, weed, and apply as vinyl. Has anyone here used it, and can give me some feedback? Is it really as easy as doing vinyl? Will I need a special blade?

Thanks all,

SignNutz

Tags:
  2. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Do yourself a favor...apply a black outline/shadow with cast vinyl, then apply the SignGold and use a Sealit pen on all the edges.

3. itzdeb

itzdeb Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Signgold is a bit more brittle, but still has elasticity and easy to cut. I agree with the black background, and now I've learned about the sealpen. how wonderful I saw this post.
    Signgold is a wonderful product; I save the scraps for pinstripes for later projects; it's dazzling.

4. GregT

GregT Very Active Member

I have used it on windows and my own vehicle. I have not had much problem weeding or applying. A black background really works well.

5. schosports

schosports Cookie Monster

Nov 2, 2006
    Maryland
    I used it on my Dad's boat, WOW, beautiful stuff. I layed it over a Oracal Mooonlight Blue (dark blue) which matched the canvas top. It cut and weeded well I thought. Very $$$$ BUT my Dad wanted it to last. The gold used for the previous name faded after 4 years.

Here's a pic. The font was not my choice. I had to re-create what was already there.

Attached Files:

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    It's great. I agree an outline sets it off nicely.
    Seal pen is good, but not absolutely necessary on a window, but it couldn't hurt.
    Are you going on the inside or outside? If inside make sure you get the one meant to be reverse cut.
    Also if it's on the inside and you customer balks at the cost try Coburn, it's not as nice but a good product, as are the 3M aand Arlon shiny golds.
    Inside apps don't have the same weathering issues.