• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone Used Alumigraphics? - Foil Based Printed Wall Graphic Media

Wposters

Has anyone tried this? It is for Brick, Asphalt and Concrete. Floor or wall printed graphics. It says "foil based media" I'm guessing it sticks like vinyl but with more of a aluminum foil type feel. They have a website www.AlumiGraphics.com with videos. I was thinking about ordering some, but curious of opinions if anyone has used it. They make it look easy on videos...
We have a Roland - EcoSolvent inks

Any advice appreciated!

C

ColoPrinthead

The stuff is awesome IMO. I tested Allumagraphics and a glassbead type of street graphic, The Alumagraphics lasted about 3-4 years and the glass bead stuff was easily removed by the leasing company after we moved out of the building.

Wposters

Did you all happen to install it on a brick wall? That is what we are going to be using it on. We usually use Arlon 8000 for this type of project, but the Arlon 8000 seems to come unstuck from the "grout" lines after some time. I say "grout" lines as a lack of a better term... it's not really grout, these are cinderblock walls, completely painted with just indentions in between the cinderblocks. The vinyl's " memory" I guess pulls it away from the indentions.
This will be inside a gynasium

C

ColoPrinthead

I tested min on concrete steps. The aluminum collapses into the texture of the surface, no memory what so ever.

FatCat

We have used the Alumagraphics stuff on a few projects, but the downside is it is very expensive. Typically we stick with 3M IJ8624 - have used it on some very textured walls with deep recesses and grout lines and it has always held up well. We have our logo made with 8624 on the side of our block wall building baking in the sun/weather and after 1 year, no peeling or cracking or anything. So very happy with it and indoors I would expect it to last a long time...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We tried it, installed a large graphic in front of our front door. Also made some address numbers for my house street curb (looks like the old painted numbers). But they didn't last long.
Also, now that we have gotten into the roll, it holds its curl so bad we can't run it through our printer any more without head strikes. Kinda frustrating. Maybe on a printer that you can raise the head carriage it will work, but won't work on our Latex printers.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Has anyone tried this? It is for Brick, Asphalt and Concrete. Floor or wall printed graphics. It says "foil based media" I'm guessing it sticks like vinyl but with more of a aluminum foil type feel. They have a website www.AlumiGraphics.com with videos. I was thinking about ordering some, but curious of opinions if anyone has used it. They make it look easy on videos...

Any advice appreciated!

We tried it, installed a large graphic in front of our front door. Also made some address numbers for my house street curb (looks like the old painted numbers). But they didn't last long.
Also, now that we have gotten into the roll, it holds its curl so bad we can't run it through our printer any more without head strikes. Kinda frustrating. Maybe on a printer that you can raise the head carriage it will work, but won't work on our Latex printers.

That material is not good in Latex, Asphalt Art is the compatible version if your using latex.

MNeel

Did you all happen to install it on a brick wall? That is what we are going to be using it on. We usually use Arlon 8000 for this type of project, but the Arlon 8000 seems to come unstuck from the "grout" lines after some time. I say "grout" lines as a lack of a better term... it's not really grout, these are cinderblock walls, completely painted with just indentions in between the cinderblocks. The vinyl's " memory" I guess pulls it away from the indentions.
This will be inside a gynasium
AlumiGraphics Smooth is perfect for brick and cinder black walls. It has no memory and will conform and hold to the wall without heat; just use a roller.

MNeel

That material is not good in Latex, Asphalt Art is the compatible version if your using latex.
Actually, AlumiGraphics is compatible with solvent, eco-solvent, latex and UV inks plus it costs less than Asphalt Art. Download printer profiles from AlumiGraphics.com

MNeel

Any advice appreciated!
It is easy and very reliable. There are Roland printer profiles on the website.

FlexiEure

Any advice appreciated!
I've used it several times. Printed it using the Mimaki JV33. It works extremely well. We have used it on asphalt and concrete walkways as well concrete light poles. I would highly recommend it. It is also easy to install and remove.

NicKiehl

I've used it at the Cleveland Zoo for a summer promotion. Put a dozen or so 24" circles on main pathways. With that heavy of foot traffic and utility trucks/golf carts running over them, they completely impregnated themselves into the concrete. No possible way to grab an edge to remove them. That was 3 years ago. There are now a dozen faint circles still imbedded into the roadways.
I also had issues with it printing on my Mimaki jv3. The foil makes the material remember any hump in the roll, so I was getting a number of headstrikes as the carriage passed over the print. And with the grit in the material for anti-slip, it made me cringe with every pass. It installed well, but I am nervous to use it with my HP L360... Don't want to destroy the heads again.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I've used it at the Cleveland Zoo for a summer promotion. Put a dozen or so 24" circles on main pathways. With that heavy of foot traffic and utility trucks/golf carts running over them, they completely impregnated themselves into the concrete. No possible way to grab an edge to remove them. That was 3 years ago. There are now a dozen faint circles still imbedded into the roadways.
I also had issues with it printing on my Mimaki jv3. The foil makes the material remember any hump in the roll, so I was getting a number of headstrikes as the carriage passed over the print. And with the grit in the material for anti-slip, it made me cringe with every pass. It installed well, but I am nervous to use it with my HP L360... Don't want to destroy the heads again.

You should use the Asphalt Art Line for your latex printer, that's what we run and it works great in the 365.

FoxRiverSigns

I'm located in the Midwest and the weather is just changing from winter to spring. We've been asked to install 50 6x18 "Stand Here' decals on outside concrete. My concern is that the concrete is still a bit cold, we are in the 30s at night and today and tomorrow we will be in the 60s. This is a rush job and I do not have any of this inhouse to do a test first. Specs say the temp should be 50 degrees optimally. Just wondering if anyone has installed it in cooler temps and if it worked or failed.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We print on it and sell it.. Looks great and is a much different substrate to handle. UV inks printed double strike for color pop and density. The coatings are typically mediocre and dont reproduce color well with only a single hit.

Mimi9271

Any advice appreciated!
My life was Aluma Graphics for about 2 months. We printed and installed wall wraps at Capitol One Arena DC. We used our flatbed printer, so it was weeks of wallpaper panels. It flattens nicely with a squeegee when prepping it for the table. Beware of serious "paper cuts" its thick and the foil will slice you. We installed it on massive tiled walls of 6" tiles. It conformed well, but we were doing 20' high murals, SO: seam line ups were tricky because this stuff STICKS! Theres very little re-positioning. Basically its wise to commit before you peel and stick. Im happy to answer any specific technical questions. Its a great product over-all..Our client loved it and the arena looks fabulous !