• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone Using 27" Monitors?

player

I am looking at a new monitor for design and print. I am curious to know if anyone is using a 27" monitor and if so, what is the resolution and are there any issues with the larger size?

Thanks

WildWestDesigns

27" Cintiq that I run my Win 7 and Win 8.1 VMs and do all my designing (mainly Ai CS6) and digitizing work (Wilcom) in.

Icons can be on the smaller size using the full resolution if it hasn't been optimized for the higher resolution monitors. Not too much of a big deal, but it may require some getting used to.

Attachments

• Office.jpg
    Office.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 474

euronymous

1920x1080 IPS panel 27 incher. No issues with size, almost too much room on the screen....I think I prefer the clutter of a smaller desktop though. When the boss man asked me what I wanted for an upgrade I wish I went with 2 21" monitors instead though.

player

I think if I buy a 27" monitor I would go with a taller screen than 1080. I think the 2560 x 1440 is better than the 1920 x 1080. True?

2B

we went with the 22" size and each station has 2+ monitors

once we set up and ran multiple screens we will never go back to a single

player

we went with the 22" size and each station has 2+ monitors

once we set up and ran multiple screens we will never go back to a single
I agree. All my computers use 2 monitors. for some things I would like 3.

I have 2 24" monitors. One is 1920 x 1080, and the other is 1920 x 1200. The extra height the 1200 monitor give doesn't seen like much, but it makes a big difference.

ChrisN

All of our designers have 2 - 27" 1920x1080 monitors. Lately, I've been getting ones with IPS panels, but most are still using standard LCD monitors.

I personally wish for 16:10 monitors, but the 30" Dell UltraSharp is crazy expensive. Replacing my monitors with 2 of them would cost nearly twice as much as the computer itself!

JJGraphics

I used to have 4 21" square lcd's on my desk. I now have dual 27" 1920 x 1080 monitors on my desk and wish I had atleast 3 of them, or 2 of those new ultra wide 34" monitors. Once you get used to multiple monitors, you never go back. When I had 4, I had Excel, Outlook, Quark and Photoshop all visible simultaneously.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I use a 30" 2560 x 1600, I'm saving for 2 27" 5k monitors since my 30" is finally showing it's age...

kevin

In my "side job" (tech support/consultant – which was my full-time gig before coming to take over the family sign business), I was fortunate enough to have a customer gift me a 40-inch 1080p LED TV, which was a bit too banged-up for me to use as a TV, but just perfect for use as a main display at the shop. Comes in really handy when having to show designs to others (customers, coworkers, etc.) in the room. I have it set up as my main display, with a smaller 19-inch display also connected as an extra monitor for things like tools, palettes, etc.

Honestly, though...most flat-screen TVs are very affordable these days (especially 40-inch & under), and as long as they have a HDMI-in port, you can get an adapter to use them as secondary (or even primary) displays on most computers, if you could use the size and/or real estate.

player

Thanks for sharing. I am interested in accurate colours and really sharp resolution. For me a 27" or 30" monitor will be as large as I would go. I really like the monitors that will show what I have and what will print.

WildWestDesigns

It might be me or it might have just been the ones that I've gotten, but TVs that I have used as monitors seems to have rendered differently (even using the DVI (or HDMI port, which to my knowledge the only difference is one passes through audio (HDMI) and the other doesn't (DVI)) compared to a monitor targeted as a monitor.

Again, that just seems to be my experience with the ones that I have gotten.

The middle "monitor" in my above picture is actually a Samsung HD TV and that's the last one that I'm passing this experience off of. But tech changes, so that may not be the case anymore. Just in case it is, I thought I would mention that.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
It might be me or it might have just been the ones that I've gotten, but TVs that I have used as monitors seems to have rendered differently (even using the DVI (or HDMI port, which to my knowledge the only difference is one passes through audio (HDMI) and the other doesn't (DVI)) compared to a monitor targeted as a monitor.

Again, that just seems to be my experience with the ones that I have gotten.
that.

You are correct. TVs are profiled differently -- but I think most of them are still somewhat adjustable.

Christian @ 2CT Media

TVs are also net set up for close viewing so pixel bleed and overlap is not crisp like a monitor panel. if you are using a large tv over a distance this doesn't matter but sitting directly in front of it fonts will look blurry and lines not sharp.