• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

anyone using a Mac Laptop?

H

HSG

I use a G4 and am going to upgrade to a G5. I would also like to have a laptop, but I don't think I'd use one as my main work source.

HSG

Arlo Kalon 2.0

what kinda sign program can ya use on it??? also, izzit true you can run a Windows emulating program on a Mac so you can run Windows based programs thru it - like my Gerber Omega program? drawbacks?

Ron Helliar

It does work but doesn't have the "go" juice a tower has. Great for stock vinyl work but she starts to bog down in digital & complex tracing. Plus my Itunes on, watching mail come in, and online at the same time really bogs her down.
I'm only running 1/2 gig, but at a couple hundred per stick I'll stick with the tower.

Ron

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
drbrn516 said:
I'm planning on moving back to Mac soon.

You might want to wait at least a few months before doing that -especialliy if you don't already own any Mac-based software.

Apple will begin transitioning its entire product line away from PowerPC processors and over to Intel chips. Many in the computer industry are predicting Apple's Powerbook line of notebooks will be the first to switch to Intel.

The new Intel based Macs will require software recompiled for Intel code. Apple has already compiled Intel versions of its operating system and likely has Intel versions of its own Apple-branded applications ready for distribution. You'll have to wait for other vendors, such as Adobe-Macromedia, Scanvec-Amiable and others to deliver recompiled apps.

Apple has faced a number of problems outside the company that have forced the switch to Intel.

The main problem is IBM and Freescale Semiconductor, the companies that make the PowerPC line of CPUs have not been very interested in improving the line of processors for Apple Computer. They have been far more interested in developing new PowerPC CPUs for X-Box 360, Playstation 3 and the next Nintendo gaming console. There's a lot more profit potential there. Only three kinds of CPUs for products that will ship in the tens of millions per year. That compares to Apple's varied computer line, totaling 5 million units per year.

Apple's notebook line has suffered the most. IBM has missed the deadline by more than two years to deliver a new low-voltage G5 processor for notebook. Meanwhile Intel's Centrino notebook platform has been one of its biggest money-makers. I'm using a new Dell Inspiron 6000 loaded with all kinds of features and I love it. It's powerful and can last 4 to 6 hours on a single battery charge. It's great to be liberated away from the ball and chain of a desktop.

The new dual core 2.5GHz PowerPC desktop processor will be one of the last PowerPC updates to Apple's desktop line. OTOH, Intel has pushed up release dates for new dual core 65nm processors for both desktops and notebooks. Dual core and multi-core Xeon CPUs are also hitting the high end marketplace. AMD and Intel are getting into their second generation of dual core releases while IBM casually gets into its first generation.

Apple cannot afford to put up with that kind of foot dragging. With Intel, they'll be dealing with a company only interested in making processors for personal computers and servers -not game consoles.