• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone using any of these vinyls?

Dennis422

I was looking around and stumbled on SimCarbon and VViViD vinyls.
Anyone using any of these manufacturers?

Good or bad experience?

I ordered small piece of white carbon fiber material from SimCarbon to try. Mainly for interior of my new vehicle. Will try to use it on the side mirror too (Just to try it).
Will let you know how that works.

Thanks

KevinRBeard

Bad experience with Vvivid

I just completed a project doing 5 vehicles with Vvivid. Got a call a week later with the customer saying that the vinyl was bubbling. When they brought the pickup in, I noticed that the vinyl had let go pretty much anywhere there was a curve. This material is extremely thick and adhesive is, in my mind, very poor. Mfg recommends that you heat to 180 degrees. Can you imagine heating 2/3rds of a Ford F350 to 180? Pushed the vinyl back down and spent 2 hours heating curves to the required temperature. Had to do the same thing with a second vehicle. The whole project was a nightmare!

Dennis422

I just completed a project doing 5 vehicles with Vvivid. Got a call a week later with the customer saying that the vinyl was bubbling. When they brought the pickup in, I noticed that the vinyl had let go pretty much anywhere there was a curve. This material is extremely thick and adhesive is, in my mind, very poor. Mfg recommends that you heat to 180 degrees. Can you imagine heating 2/3rds of a Ford F350 to 180? Pushed the vinyl back down and spent 2 hours heating curves to the required temperature. Had to do the same thing with a second vehicle. The whole project was a nightmare!

You should postheat most of the vinyls on curved areas no matter what.
I did end up buying a half roll of brushed metal. Did not like it much, a completely different feel from Avery. Seems much more stiff and adhesive was a bit too aggressive for my taste.

I think I will pass on it for a future projects and stick with the proven manufacturers.