• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone Using Mach 3 Software for CNC?

SIGNCO

I just purchased a Gerber Dimension 200, without any software. I am not financially able to purchase any expensive software, so I've been looking around, trying to find something suitable, yet inexpensive.

I downloaded a demo of Mach 3 and it's pretty well over my head. Actually, I have no experience with cnc and am having to learn.

If there is anyone using Mach 3 that could lend me some helpful tips, that would be great. If there is anyone here that knows of another software that is inexpensive, please share this info with me.

Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

theskipman_98

where did you download it from, let me take a look at it, and maybe I can help. We use ArtPath here, but I create it in GSP Composer to import into artpath. We can really only do X-Y axis not climbing Z. Our Z axis is limited to plunge into the material.

Get ready for the learning curve..

I use the Mach 3 controller. There are others that are available, and free, but the most common runs under Linux. I prefer Mach 3 because it has an excellent support system and some excellent capabilities.

What were you going to use for CAM?

i have built multiple cnc routers and have used mach 3 to drive all of them...including the one that Pro Signs & Graphics is using. It is a very capable program, however, as you have learned it is not a dumbed down program for those with little to no cnc experience, especially compared to some of the more expensive programs that are more user friendly.

you can do anything with mach 3 that you can do with the higher dollar programs. the learning curve is just more intense. for the price you simply can not beat it. in addition they have an amazing forum that many industry leaders in the cnc world follow and participate in as it is a constantly evolving piece of software.

there are also MULTIPLE cnc router manufacturers that use mach 3 to operate their machines or a modified version of the software that they repackage as their own.

4R Graphics

Mach 3 is great its not that diffucult to learn it just looks hard. You should checkout the forums at cnczone.com you will find lots of good info and the forum for Mach 3 on Mach 3 website is good also. There is a huge learning curve for this stuff but once you start to get it its addictive you want to carve everything.

3dsignco

Just one question... Will the Mach3 Support the Gerber. I thought the Gerber was a propriety language/Translation.

I have played with the Mach 3 software and I agree with everyone above it is very powerful software just like any other software there is a learning curve.

Sorry not much help after that I still run my router out of DOS.
(By Choice. I know there will never be a Blue screen of death in the middle of a $10,000 router job.)

3dsignco

Ian, I design in Signlab and Artcam writes my codes but my control software for the Shopbot is still the DOS version