• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone using Onyx in Windows and designing on a Mac?

Mata

Hi

As per the title, is anyone using a mac to design their signs and then printing or cutting from Windows?

I've just bought an FC9000 so cutting directly from the mac is fine using the Cutting master plugin but when it comes to printing on the Epson, I'm transferring my files manually and then opening them up in Onyx to print.

I understand there are better ways to do this but I'm unsure how to set them up.

Can you set onyx up as a printer on the mac i.e. I design my file, click print and it sends the file to Onyx using a chosen quick-set?

Same goes for cut server if possible?

It would be nice if I could setup a printer on the mac called Vehicle wraps and it send the file to Onyx with the vehicle wraps quickset profile etc.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Onyx has virtual printers but not sure if you can use them outside the windows and how to set it up.

Personally I would use the hot Folders. There's already shared Folders from onyx that you can just save or drop files to. You should be able to do Folders for quicksets as well.

MikePro

Currently we design on Mac, and run onyx on a seperate PC, as well.
Files are saved on our network, and readily accessible from either computer.
if you wish to control your RIP, that runs on a PC, from your Mac... RemoteDesktop or TeamViewer are easy solutions.

Mata

Hi

That sounds fine, do you know how to set hot folders up. I'm looking online now but all the information is old and not sure if it's still correct.

Mata

Currently we design on Mac, and run onyx on a seperate PC, as well.
Files are saved on our network, and readily accessible from either computer.
if you wish to control your RIP, that runs on a PC, from your Mac... RemoteDesktop or TeamViewer are easy solutions.

Thats how I am using it at the moment. I want to try and get a bit more productive

CanuckSigns

I second the Hot Folders solution, it's just a mapped network folder that you drop files into and it automatically starts ripping the file in Onyx according to the quickset selected.

Mata

Thank you, hot folders seems the way to go.

How do I set up Windows and the mac to use these, ideally without having to use passwords?

Mata

Ok, so I watched that video and also this one
which explains about the Hot folders.

I'm not great with Networking but how do I have those hot folders on my desktop on the mac? or do you put them in a better location?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We use Caldera...its all Mac based. No transferring files...design and rip/print on same computer if you really want to. The Onyx Hot Folder is a good idea ...able to drag and drop directly to that for ripped files with different settings applied and such. Takes a manual step out of the equation.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Hot folders. Put them on your desktop and drag and drop. so simple. when you map your network drive following the link above, just crea
We use Caldera...its all Mac based. No transferring files...design and rip/print on same computer if you really want to. The Onyx Hot Folder is a good idea ...able to drag and drop directly to that for ripped files with different settings applied and such. Takes a manual step out of the equation.
RIPs should be on a standalone pc dedicated to ripping and colour management.
That's where hot folders play a huge role

It could just be you, or you and a few designers. if everyone had their own pc or laptop, they'd have hot folders setup on their pc/laptop and once file is ready for print, it's simply drag and drop into the correct folder as you can have multiple folders for different media etc.
No need to stuff around on the RIP pc. just send the job to the printer when ready.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We do mostly file processing and a lot less designing. 3 Power Macs as workstation/rips for us is perfect. One unit is standalone for the small latex 560 and drives it directly. Designing on Mac and Ripping PC...the hot folders is where its at.

DeadDoc

The designer on site uses a mac, as well as 95% of the terminals on site, and the LF/Cutters and main production are on windows. I do a small amount of editing and creating on the windows terminals and no idea what our customers do. FC8600 here. We use Graphtec Studio just for cuts and Onyx V11.x cut server for printed cuts. I sadly have no idea on the Mac terminal to cutter though. Honestly, I'd rather be the one doing the machine work than others.

unclebun

The folder doesn't have to be hot. (Hot meaning a file dropped into it is automatically processed). Just shared is enough. When you export the print/cut file from your design software, save it into the shared folder. Then from the RIP workstation, open the file into the RIP (Onyx in this case). It's really simple.

dypinc

We do mostly file processing and a lot less designing. 3 Power Macs as workstation/rips for us is perfect. One unit is standalone for the small latex 560 and drives it directly. Designing on Mac and Ripping PC...the hot folders is where its at.

I am really surprised that you have that old of software and hardware that you can still run power macs.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
LOL>...I call them power mac...Intel mac...Mac Pro...12 cores...32gig ram minimum...A few SSDs in each...etc.

Made me think of my old G4 mac...blue and gray...or the blueberry i Macs

Last edited: