• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone wanna let me check out their shop?

cdiesel

We're in the process of spec'ing a new building, and I'd be very interested in seeing how some of you other guys do stuff. How the shop's laid out, where the equipment is, etc.. Specifically, I'd like to see soft-signage/PSP's that are running at least $4-5MM a year.
I know how we do things, but I also know that we could always be doing things better. I'd like to do this in the next couple of weeks. Thanks guys!

Typestries

Hey Chris

I'd be interested in seeing this develop and sharing some ideas. Like you we are sardined into a space we once thought would be acceptable. We could literally use more bays and more room for printers today. The commercial RE market around here is tough as we have no real industry base, so unless we want to relocate 50 miles south, west, or north our options are extremely limited. My friend who is a specialty RE guy prefers the term "think creatively"

Are you building from the ground up or moving into four walls that you will customize? I'm guessing that in your area theres a plethora of industrial spaces available, exactly what we lack here.

I'm really impressed with your shops new look. And of course there is that other place near you that has a pretty cool setup going :) (thorn is side alert)

What I'd really like in our new space is to redundantly place machines by production method, centrally locate the CNC cutter to serve the printers, and have that space easily cleanable via floor scrubber, climate controlled, and very well lit with color balanced lighting. Assembly tables that can link up or work independently via product type. Multiple laminators running our popular lams. And a dedicated area for sewing and welding. Also a central shipping area that each area could drop product at for packing reducing the redundant handling of each order

A separate vehicle area that has wash capabilities and IR heat would be sweet (not sure you need heat though). Room for a 53' trailer plus tractor or bus plus a few smaller vehicles would be ideal.

A separate area for dirty stuff......CNC router, panel saw and painting if needed.

And electrical service big enough to run it all.

cdiesel

Thanks Rick. Industrial space (and any other kind of RE for that matter) are abundant. We're looking at a piece of land with a purpose built shop. We could pick up a piece of distressed building for a little less money, but location and visual impression are extremely important to us. Currently the design is about 10k sf of office space and 35k sf of warehouse for printing, finishing & installation. The only things that would be inside are admin, sales, design, & support. No production would be done inside.

We've been meeting with a builder and have plans drawn up pretty good already. Like you, I'm currently mostly concerned with how to lay out the equipment and plan for future purchases. Where do you put the operators and managers? Better to use less computers to drive the equipment or a computer for every piece? How much space is needed for the different departments? Here are a few specific questions:

Banner welder; We've got the Sinclair Triad Wedge welder with 50' of track. I've seen many shops put the track right on the floor, and just cut/weld the banners right there. My girls are telling me they really don't want to work on the floor, and we should build a long, skinny table for the track to sit on. Maybe 50'x30" or so? So now you've got a 50' table to navigate around.. What's the best way to handle this?

Dirty room; For panel saw, welding, metal fab, etc. What's the best way to set this up?

I'm not sure if we'll need heat either.. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, so what's the best way to heat that much space? We've got it drawn up with a pull through bay for trucks.. Floor scrubber is a must. 2000a service enough? Our IT guy wants a full server room with elevated floor and dedicated air conditioning. Necessary? What am I missing?

And Dan, got your message. I'll give you a shout on Monday.

HulkSmash

We are also in the process of doing the same as you guys. We already looked at land. In put case its cheaper yo buy land. Then raise a Steel building. Also this way we can grow into what we invest in, have it the way we like it, and where we want it.

SqueeGee

Somewhat off topic...

Assuming you're not going to pay cash, you guys should check into an SBA 504 loan for your financing. It's perfect for owner occupied property.

cdiesel

Yes, I believe we'll be doing an SBA loan. May go conventional, but haven't decided if we want to commit that much cash to the down payment.