• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anything else I should try? Print Head CJ-500 eco sol

supurb

Hello again,

I've recently purchase a cj500 converted to eco solvent that is in so so shape. I grabbed it at a good price knowing that the work needed would probably include new heads. I know the machine sat for about 2 years but i don't know much more than that. Mechanically the machine appears to be fne as far as going through the motions however the printing is not good. It cuts fine.

Before i pull the trigger on two new heads i'd just like to make sure i've covered my basis and have tried everything to revive the heads. I've done hours of homework on this forum and would like to thank all that have contributed, what a great resource it is. For someone as green as me, this is the only source. On to the problem.........

One head it shooting nealy a full Light Magenta block, yellow block, and only a few lines of the light Cyan. The other head is absent all together. I'm working on this head. Ink cartidges are full, most are brand new. The pump is brand new. I've replaced all the dampers, and primed them by pulling ink until they are half full. I've performed both the medium and powerful head clean. I soaked the heads over night twice by clamping off the pump lines. I made sure drain lines were not clogged. On the non working head, i tried to pull ink through the head out of the capping station using a syringe. Not a drop, and I could hear air leaking. I ordered and installed a new capping station in an attempt to fix the air leak. Still not a drop and I still hear air.

At this point i declared the head shot. I figured the seal in the capping station must be weaker than the seal in the syringe and the air has to come from somewhere when i pull since the head is clogged. So I thought for the heck of it i would try to gently push some solvent through the manifold into the head. I know this is not advised but I dont have much hope for this head. Suprisingly if flowed through without much effort.

So my question is, does it make sense that if a head is 100% clogged that liquid would pass through it from the manifold. Yet it won't charge enough to print one single dot, or am I missing some other air leak somewhere? Or perhaps it has something to do with the circuits of the head?

Any more ideas, or is it just time to order up some new heads?

Robert M

head

Test the fuses on the main board, don't recall their numbers on that old a printer but they may be F1 and F2
You are basicly working on the same ink drive train as a Mutoh Falcon.

anozira02

One of my printers is a Cj-500 number of things you should do,, shut off main power and take out both print heads take some cleaning solvent and cut off a small amount of waste line tubing to place at the end of syringe, the other end onto ink head inlet nipple and slowly force some solvent until you can see a very fine spray coming out from from the print head. I would do this at each color inlets, do not wipe bottom of ink head. Next do a pump test on your printer, maybe 2-3 times until you see some ink coming out from waste line into waste bottle. If you don't see ink coming out the lines might be plugged up,,, clean the lines or install new ones. Also make sure your print heads are properly seated, if not seated properly the printer wont be able to suck ink down into to the capping station. I don't think the problem is with the printer,,, I also would check the manifolds for cracks ..

supurb

One of my printers is a Cj-500 number of things you should do,, shut off main power and take out both print heads take some cleaning solvent and cut off a small amount of waste line tubing to place at the end of syringe, the other end onto ink head inlet nipple and slowly force some solvent until you can see a very fine spray coming out from from the print head. I would do this at each color inlets, do not wipe bottom of ink head. Next do a pump test on your printer, maybe 2-3 times until you see some ink coming out from waste line into waste bottle. If you don't see ink coming out the lines might be plugged up,,, clean the lines or install new ones. Also make sure your print heads are properly seated, if not seated properly the printer wont be able to suck ink down into to the capping station. I don't think the problem is with the printer,,, I also would check the manifolds for cracks ..

Okay, here is the latest. I got my left print head to print literally two dots. Leads me to believe that its not the fuse however i will still check that to be sure.

So I did try pushing solvent through the manifold on the top of the head. I did each color. Is that what you are explaining above or is what you are doing different since you are removing the heads? I did it VERY gently, and i just see a solvent liquid bubble form on the bottom the print head that eventually drips. Certainly have not seen it spray. Perhaps I should push a little harder and do it a few more times. I've done it probably 2 times so far.

I'm thinking the drain lines are not plugged since i can hear the air leak around the capping station when i try to pull ink through it, however just to be sure, I will replace the drain lines entirely.

I will push the solvent through the head a little harder and do it like 2 more times and report back. I still feel with only seeing 2 dots from one color on a 3 color print head that this is still an uphill battle. Anyone have success with printhead 911? I have seen them mentioned a few times however I have not seen any posts saying whether or not they got good results using them. For $300 I would send in my old heads even if i did buy new heads, just to have a back up pair.