• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

APC - back UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)

CreatedDesigns

for a UPS to run your printer it would need to be sized correctly and I would guess it would cost as much as your printer and weigh twice as much.

What amount of time would you want it to run for after a power failure? does the rip computer and monitor need to be on as well? these are questions you need to have answers to.

signs20

Printer Power Protection

We have 2 Mimaki 62 inch printers and both are connected to UPS units. Our JV3-160 has been on an APC UPS 1500 for over 8 years. We first measured the current draw for each and we use 1500 VA units. They cost about $150.

The JV3 has had no breakdowns over the 8 years. Basically a UPS passes line voltage through to the printer unless there is a surge or dropout and then it switches to battery backup. We have changed the batteries once. We use a CyberPower 1500 for our JV33-160. If there is a power outage, the batteries have sufficient capacity for 15-20 minutes - long enough for a controlled shutdown. A bigger UPS would provide a longer uptime, but we haven't found that we needed it.

All of our computers (8) are on APC UPS units and all are protected.

We highly recommend this safety measure.

Baz

I have two of these:

Xfinity Pro Series 2000VA 1200W UPS
http://www.amazon.com/Xfinity-Pro-2000VA-1200W-UPS/dp/B00CMCAGJ4/

I have my VS 540 and my SC-500 hooked up to one
My production pc and laser engraver hooked into the second one.

Seems the price has jumped a couple of hundred dollars since i last bought one (last spring).
I had paid around 250.00$ which was the best value out of all the battery backups i searched at the time.

odshawaii

I use them on my Epson S70. I have 2 of them and plug 1 plugin to each one. I got the Cyberpower brand from B&H Photo. They were $350 each. They work great and have been very beneficial as I've blown a breaker more than once. Plus I know I'm getting a constistant flow of power to the printer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981762-REG/cyberpower_pr1500lcd_1500va_ups_smart_app.html

Can you tell me which exact model you're using?

I just bought a CyberPower LX1500g (thinking it was enough) but the device instantly said "overload" when I plugged the Mimaki into it.

Wasn't a complete wash as I'm using it for the desktop and monitor.

ProColorGraphics

Can you tell me which exact model you're using?

I just bought a CyberPower LX1500g (thinking it was enough) but the device instantly said "overload" when I plugged the Mimaki into it.

Wasn't a complete wash as I'm using it for the desktop and monitor.

I got the one that comes up when you click the link I shared to B&H.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I use them on my Epson S70. I have 2 of them and plug 1 plugin to each one. I got the Cyberpower brand from B&H Photo. They were $350 each. They work great and have been very beneficial as I've blown a breaker more than once. Plus I know I'm getting a constistant flow of power to the printer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981762-REG/cyberpower_pr1500lcd_1500va_ups_smart_app.html

2 plugged in on another? Its called daisy chaining and its a no no!:

1) The method is has not been independently (UL) safety tested.
2) The configuration does not provide any extra surge protection and in the case of a large surge this method may actually be more dangerous to your system.
3) The method is very inefficient because UPS 1 will be overloaded while UPS 2’s capacity will be negatively effected by the configuration. So the overall capacity of the two UPS’s will probably not be any more than having only one!
4) “In most cases, daisy-chaining UPSs does not allow for extra run time. If you are using a UPS that outputs a step-approximated sine wave when on battery, as soon as the fist UPS goes on battery, the second UPS will also go on battery because it will see the step-approximated sine wave as distorted or bad power. Both units will discharge together, and will not provide any extra run-time to the load.”

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
btw if you read the apc manual it will tell you this will void warranty and they won't pay a penny for damaged devices.

ProColorGraphics

I see how you misunderstood my post. My Epson has (2) plugins. I have (2) different backups and plug one plug from the Epson into each one (each UPS has one cord going into it). The backup units are NOT plugged into each other. I even have them on different outlets so they are on different breakers.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Eaton 9130 with 4 EBM's (extended battery modules)....

I've posted on this before at some point. You need to look at a few things when considering a UPS. Quality can play a big role for one. Better units provide full power filtering eliminating any sort of small fluctuations, interference, and surge protection. The advertised number is generally related to the battery capacity and not the actual load capacity. When running full bore you need to use something like a Kill-A-Watt to really see what the actual power draw is when it is running full bore with all 3 heaters actively heating and its printing. Another thing to consider is the rip computer. I'd advise it be a dedicated machine on the same UPS but at minimum it also better be on a UPS. What good will a UPS for the printer do if the RIP suddenly stops sending data to the printer..... the print would be ruined regardless. While I have the extended battery modules on the Eaton UPS, those ONLY add runtime. I have both the dedicated RIP pc and the JV33 on that UPS. With everything going on the printer the UPS is around 70% load and has a very nice long runtime allowing even a very long print job to finish. Here in the south we get a LOT of small storms this time of year with small power flickers and outages so its been very nice to have good protection.

Attachments

• 9130.jpg
    9130.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 115

odshawaii

I see how you misunderstood my post. My Epson has (2) plugins. I have (2) different backups and plug one plug from the Epson into each one (each UPS has one cord going into it). The backup units are NOT plugged into each other. I even have them on different outlets so they are on different breakers.

Have you actually seen your UPS maintain power to your Mimaki (on and active obviously) during a brown out?

I have (2) JV33s so I don't want break the bank. We really just need something strong enough to keep power up for 5 - 10 minutes so we can properly shut them down.

I'm in Hawaii so we have a bunch of brown outs here (especially with all the recent hurricanes we've had).

ProColorGraphics

Have you actually seen your UPS maintain power to your Mimaki (on and active obviously) during a brown out?

I have (2) JV33s so I don't want break the bank. We really just need something strong enough to keep power up for 5 - 10 minutes so we can properly shut them down.

I'm in Hawaii so we have a bunch of brown outs here (especially with all the recent hurricanes we've had).

I don't have a mimaki, I have an Epson. It has kept it going when there have been power surges that caused everything not on battery backups to go out. It hasn't gone out for more than a couple of minutes, so not sure how long it'll last. But I definitely think it was worth the money.