• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application Tape Haze and Wrinkles?

Bill72

So here's whats happening... I design and install vinyl graphics on coach busses. One of our bigger clients designs has a 24"in.x 35'ft metallic red and silver curved stripe running the length of there bus. To achieve the metallic look I print the red and 10% black on 3M Light Silver Metallic 180 series viny with air release. I then laminate the print, which can be a nightmare, with 3M 8519 Glossy overlam. Next I roll the print back on the tube and feed it through the printer to cut the stripes. So after successfully completing these steps I weed the stripe leaving the release liner intact and put transfer tape over it.

The issue im having is not in applying the application tape without it wrinkling or bubbling, ive got that down. I then loosely roll the masked stripe up. Once I install the vinyl on the bus and remove the tape the once glossy graphic has a dull haze to it and tiny but very visible vein like wrinkles through out the entire stripe. Not in the vinyl itself but what appears to be in the laminate. The problem has occurred twice now.

It happened with 3M prespacing tape and transferite. Gonna try R-Tape next time to see if that makes a difference. Anyone had this or anything similar happen to them? If I premasked immediately before the install, which is rarely a possibility, I wont get the wrinkles but the hazy dull look still appears, why?

31legen

Same issue

Ive had this same issue from time to time. It appears to be an adhesive residue from the app tape. It does seem to go away but it is definiatly frustrating. Its hard to explain to a customer that it will look good in a week or so?