• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application tape rant lol

reQ

Am i the only one whos getting paper based application tape with damaged sides/not properly cut? And when you try to unroll some to premask your vinyl it freaking tears and you can't get long runs? Unless you are super careful and spend a lot of time trying not to tear it? Flak, that makes me rage :frustrated:

Last edited:

Moze

I bet you're using the 3M stuff from Home Depot...? Try the Sherwin Williams tape.

reQ

I am using Rtape. And it only happens if the roll was damaged during shipping or if it was cut by monkeys who works for my suppliers lol

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I bet you're using the 3M stuff from Home Depot...? Try the Sherwin Williams tape.

Don't think Home Depot sells premask... aka RTape, Conform, etc.....at least that's what I think he is referring to.

Moze

Gotchya. I like the Sherwin Williams tape. Even if the edges are damaged, it seems to stay in one piece. The 3M stuff rips like crazy if the edges aren't perfect.

Moze

Ah...Masking tape is masking tape and premask is premask. I was answering your question about MASKING tape lol

Sign Works

He said masking tape but he didn't mean masking tape. He meant Application tape (premask). You gotta learn to read between the lines so to speak, this industry has been consumed by folks that are unfamiliar with the proper terms of the materials and processes inviolved. I bought one-a-dem-dar $200 sign ploters on e-bay nowz I r a sign company, Billy Bobs' Kuztomz Grafix & Signz & Stikerz

reQ

He said masking tape but he didn't mean masking tape. He meant Application tape (premask). You gotta learn to read inbetween the lines so to speak, this industry has been consumed by folks that are unfamiliar with the proper terms of the materials and processes inviolved. I bought one-a-dem-dar $200 sign ploters on e-bay nowz I r a sign company, Billy Bobs' Kuztomz Grafix & Signz

So, because in the same post, i said masking tape along with premask, you r saying that i don't know what i am doing and runnin' 200 dollar equipment in my shop calling myself a sign company?

gabagoo

so

1) yes to pre mask that has been damaged on the ends, or cut too fast with the baloney slicer..... pack it up and send it back to the supplier. Let them unload it on some walk in end user.

2) 3m masking tape can be a real pain too. Sometimes the cellophane wrap around it gets stuck along the sides and you cant pull off more than a few inches and then it rips....

I think I have covered the issue fully.

I don't think he meant masking tape or premask. Masking is for painting. Premask is applied by the manufacturer. Transfer or Application Tape is the tape used after print or cut to transfer or apply the image to whatever the substrate may be. Send those rolls back, if they don't take them find a new supplier. We use Grimco never have any issues with our tape. If I did I would send it back and they would get me a new one. I have sent back reflective before because there were too many splices (damn cheap a$$ 3M) They never try to stick you with crappy product. Might as well hand place all the vinyl for how long it takes to get a good piece off of a crappy roll.

reQ

I don't think he meant masking tape or premask. Masking is for painting. Premask is applied by the manufacturer. Transfer or Application Tape is the tape used after print or cut to transfer or apply the image to whatever the substrate may be. Send those rolls back, if they don't take them find a new supplier. We use Grimco never have any issues with our tape. If I did I would send it back and they would get me a new one. I have sent back reflective before because there were too many splices (damn cheap a$$ 3M) They never try to stick you with crappy product. Might as well hand place all the vinyl for how long it takes to get a good piece off of a crappy roll.

Speaking about reflective (and any other media also) Love it when same monkeys do a roll cut and you get fingerprints all over the vinyl. Prints nicely after :D

reQ

Changed words to Application tape, so no one will get confused anymore and won't say that i run 200 dollar equipment :D