• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

application tape tunneling

petepaz

having an issue with application tape tunneling. attached pics not the easiest to see but believe me it's tunneling.
was using r-tape at-60 and this started happening so i went to a more aggressive tape, at-65 and it's doing it again.
any suggestions on a fix or different tape to try. i prefer to use a clear tape for easier install line up.

Attachments

• tunneling.jpg
    tunneling.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 205
  • tunneling-1.jpg
    tunneling-1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 155

Bretbyron

Clear tape has done it to me. Usually when there is too much tension and sometimes w/ temperature flux.

Suz

The clear stuff doesn't work so good for me. The masking tape style is hard to see through Yes, but it seems more pliable, more flexible, and with better tack. I haven't found a clear that I'm happy with yet and have gone through lots of this stuff. Due to the problems you mentioned, my clear does not get used nearly as much, especially for larger work. Too many problems here. I have wondered if being in WA State with lots of moisture in the air would contribute to the issues I've had. Anynow, good luck. I agree though, the clear makes the line-up part easier.

David Goetter

Premask help from David Goetter

I would suspect that the adhesive coating on your transfer tape was a bit lacking as you said the problem was intermittent.

Cut out a piece of the raised tunneled part and test it’s tac by applying it to another small piece of vinyl and the pull it off

There are a lot of different formulations for the pre-mask “tac” level.
(ie. Hi -Med - Low)

Most Pre-mask and masking films use a rubber based adhesive not acrylic...

Translation when you stick down a rubber based adhesive you get what you get at

that time not much more over time like acrylic adhesives do…

So when you work with a pre-mask applying less or more pressure will do little to change the adhesions end result.

However you do have to… by hand or by laminator apply pressure…

Tunneling is usually a result from rolling up the pre-masked cut vinyl.

You can use pre-mask that is designed to adhere to the exposed areas of the silicone release paper as well and this will help resolve the problem.

Try this... (I don't work for them or sell it)

TransferRite 582U is a medium tack application tape workhorse for general use. Once a graphic is weeded, 582U adheres to areas of exposed liner and does not lift on the corners, tunnel or "dog ear". Rolled and stacked graphics remain smooth and ready for installation.

As for the need for clear.. personal preference but it will cost more…

Recommend using it on white lettering only…

For “day in day” out a paper based is fine mark the bottom of two letters… far apart and just use a straight edge and ink pen draw a line on the pre-mask… reference it for alignment.

Make sure to remember round letters “O” are larger than “E” so don’t mix them up when drawing you reference line…

David Goetter got to run later…

kheebl

I have the same problems with clear app tape also, I only use it when necessary, otherwise it is paper tape for everything.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
How do you guys applu the tape? Laminator machine or manually on a table? If manually; have you tried to install it backward?
Usually what people do is lay down the cut vinyl and two people pull out the tape in the air above the cut vinyl and 1 person holds the transfer tape roll and the other person holds the end of the tape and position it at the very end of the sheet of the cut vinyl. Then squeegees the transfer tape on to the cut vinyl.
The one person method would be rolling the transfer tape on to the cut vinyl using a tube.
The other one person method is if you have a bracket to hold the transfer tape.

Our method is that I lay down the transfer tape. It lays on the table (no brackets to hold the roll)
so the tape is like this O______ sticky side is up!. Then I take the cut vinyl and roll it up with the cut vinyl facing out. Unroll a feet and place it on top of the transfer tape and let it unroll by itself on op of the table right on to the transfer tape

so this is cut vinyl rolled up lettering facing out O___
this is the transfer tape O__________________________ (sticky part facing up)
PLace the cut vinyl down and squeegee the first feet down. the just unroll the rest on to the transfer tape all the way until it hits the role. Squeegee then roll up the squeegeed half. Move up both rolls and unroll more transfer tape and keep rolling the cut vinyl toward the transfer tape roll. Its Easy. Can't explain it any easier. Never have problem with tunneling.

kheebl

How do you guys applu the tape? Laminator machine or manually on a table? If manually; have you tried to install it backward?
Usually what people do is lay down the cut vinyl and two people pull out the tape in the air above the cut vinyl and 1 person holds the transfer tape roll and the other person holds the end of the tape and position it at the very end of the sheet of the cut vinyl. Then squeegees the transfer tape on to the cut vinyl.
The one person method would be rolling the transfer tape on to the cut vinyl using a tube.
The other one person method is if you have a bracket to hold the transfer tape.

Our method is that I lay down the transfer tape. It lays on the table (no brackets to hold the roll)
so the tape is like this O______ sticky side is up!. Then I take the cut vinyl and roll it up with the cut vinyl facing out. Unroll a feet and place it on top of the transfer tape and let it unroll by itself on op of the table right on to the transfer tape

so this is cut vinyl rolled up lettering facing out O___
this is the transfer tape O__________________________ (sticky part facing up)
PLace the cut vinyl down and squeegee the first feet down. the just unroll the rest on to the transfer tape all the way until it hits the role. Squeegee then roll up the squeegeed half. Move up both rolls and unroll more transfer tape and keep rolling the cut vinyl toward the transfer tape roll. Its Easy. Can't explain it any easier. Never have problem with tunneling.

That is the only way I can get the clear app tape to work for me. I tried using it in the app tape dispenser that I use with paper tape, and that was bad news resulting in a lot of messed up vinyl.

petepaz

thanks for the feed back and i am using a laminator. the thing is this doesn't happen all the time that's what gets me. wondering if it's temp or humidity thing. also was thinking maybe loosen up the tension on the laminator.

S'N'S

I apply with squeegee and it tunnels every time regardless of how much pressure I use....haven't tried the "upside down" approach. I find it squeegees down ok, but left on the bench for a couple of hours and it's tunneled, which I think is the mask pulling back after stretching while squeegeeing.(I don't use it very often now)

jman

If it's happening only every now and then i'd think it's temperature. I've always had problems with tunneling with clear tape so I steered away from it years ago due to this same issue. It's good stuff if you can get it to lay flat.

Didn't Rtape make a clear tape referred to as "smellow yellow" forever ago that worked good and had a medical gauze texture to it? Anyone know the name/model of that?

cooltouch

To me, it has a more flexible feel to it. Easier to install, less creases. Doesn't sliver in the cold like R-Tape. Sticks to air release liner.

I personally use the 3M-SCPS2 premask.

AaronSSsignsKC

We have a few rolls of R-tape that are old from our old shop that are yellow and smell like brown sugar and have a hatchmark texture to the face. they are old and not really sure the product number but they are great tapes.

jman

We have a few rolls of R-tape that are old from our old shop that are yellow and smell like brown sugar and have a hatchmark texture to the face. they are old and not really sure the product number but they are great tapes.

that's it! Find your old invoices for the model number lol

AaronSSsignsKC

old yellow r-tape

Hey i checked to see if i could track down the product # for this stuff but no luck. the one thing i did notice is the marking inside the core is a different artwork than the normal r-tape or I would assume the newer tapes. but anyway here are acouple pics of it you can kinda see the hatching ontop but its not the best photos.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 130
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 144