• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application Tape won't stick.

Dentafrice

I'm doing an order of about 100 decals for a fly fishing shop here. I am using R-Tape 4075 high tack.

The decal has small letters and a thin oval.

The application tape will not stick to the release liner.

This doesn't look good when the fly shop is trying to give these decals away, and the liner is peeling up on the corners.. and only sticks to the vinyl and not the craft paper.

Any ideas on what I can do? or application tape to use?

Thanks!

gabagoo

if they are already masked then you might want to transfer the decals to alternate backing paper, preferably one that holds better.

Dentafrice

They are not already masked.

I just have an order coming up with 100 fly shop ones, 20 text ones, and 20 more graphic ones.

mikeandbobs

maybe moisture issue with where they are being store? Maybe try clear choice- no paper involved on the pre-mask, just plastic. It's a thought...

SignosaurusRex

Cut your decals apart in groups in a manner that you can mask them and then fold the masking over & onto the back of the liner on two opposing edges and then cut into singles.

S

scarface

yep i had this issue years ago, you must get the RLA 4076, it's HIGHER tack and sticks to the liner good.

Malkin

Most application tapes won't stick to release liner that has air egress channels (3M's Comply, Oracals Rapid Air, etc.)

I've not yet tried the 4076 yet though. I know the 4075 (high tack) only sticks marginally.

Malkin

Also, for give away decals I'll try to use a total material thickness of about 3.5mils or more. That way there is usually no need for application tape. Some people are actually confused by it. I have seen decals that have been applied and the (clear) app. tape was left on, for years. They obviously thought it was just a clear background.

SignosaurusRex

You have yet to mention what vinyl material you are using. That makes a very big dif as to what mask you should use for what your requirements may be. Until then there is no right or wrong answer to your question.

RebeckaR

I'm assuming that since you're using Oracal 651 that these are cut vinyl so you do have to have tape on them
We sell a lot of this type of RTA decals and usually leave a small border of the vinyl material around the outer edge to hold the tape down.

SignosaurusRex

Oops....missed that about the material....Sorry.
a 651 with RLA 4075 should work just fine. We send out RTA decals of that combination on a regular basis without issues.

trakers

"usually leave a small border of the vinyl material around the outer edge to hold the tape down."

We stole that idea from someone who posted it here awhile back and it works great. Just tell the customer to cut it off before application.

Otherwise the edges would always lift no matter what premask we used.