• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apply Reflective over this??..Suggestions

Carolina Girl

I've scanned in a pic of the subject, I will only be doing the blue "Star of Life". I plan on using 3M 680CR Film on this project. My question is that the tall door has air vents to the top which are dented outward, has anyone installed over these before? and if anyone has done this before, are there any tips or will it be a major pain? I plan on removing the lights and door handles. Also, the red reflective and stripe go full length on the subject vehicle, can I install over existing reflective? Price quotes would help also.

Thanks,
Carolina Girl

Attachments

• Ambulance.jpg
    Ambulance.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 163

craigdavisdesign

i never think installing vinyl ontop of old vinyl is a good idea...just me. i have heated reflective a bit to make it bend but be careful. i would treat it like the vents aren't there, come back and slit the vinyl and tuck with a LITTLE heat

jfiscus

Rap Master
Looks like a PITA to me & we specialize in Ambulances...
So, the blue, white, red & gold are all reflective vinyl?
Seems like a lot of reflective to me...and that star of life is HUGE!

I would apply the pieces seperately at the door edges (seperate panels) so that they wrapped around the doors some, reflective SUCKS on wrapping corners.

Apply it wet & have the torch handy to heat it up.

You don't work for AEV do you?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've heard you should never apply reflective wet...

it's a lie. works fine for us long term.

also, remove all old vinyl before you start. never apply new over old, as the old will just continue to deteriorate behind the new causing it to fail along with it.

JoshLoring

I recently played with oracals new reflective line. You can crease it, lift it, heat it and it won't leave any marks like older reflective vinyls. Easier to dry install ( which is reccomended by all manufacturers. )

it's a lie. works fine for us long term.

it's not exactly a 'lie'...most manufacturers do not advise applying reflective using the wet application method...

many ppl think that it 'rusts' but in my experience from all of the customers that i once sold supplies to, who called me out to look at their projects that were installed wet ...that they were sure the material had 'rusted' it was in fact mold.

obviously reflective is manufactured differently than cast or calendared material and it can trap moisture which over time if circumstances are correct mold can develop and it looks horrible, so chances are if you see that nasty dark colored 'stuff' in the film it is most likely mold.

one of the projects i have been working on for the past two years will eliminate this problem, it just depends on how the various manufacturing companies decide to implement the solution and when...