• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying App Tape With Core

Dentafrice

So I've been doing a lot of larger vinyl graphics lately.

I'm using RTape Paper Application Tape (Not the conform series).

It's a 24" log that's a pain to handle. I don't have a table that I can attach a homemade thing to yet to hold it.. but I plan on building one soon.

Either way, I've been using an empty core... and even around a 20lb roll of vinyl to put behind the log... and push it forward over the decal.

At the start it's *usually* bubble free but at the end it has bubbles. Like lots of air trapped under them, and tall bubbles.

Should there be even little tiny bubbles? And what am I doing wrong? Is there a technique? Push down real hard on the core... push down really hard on the app tape?

Any help would be appreciated! :U Rock:

signguy 55

Been using a core for 20 years. I take my hand and kind of smooth the tape to the vinyl every foot or two and then squeegee.

Any wrinkles you have are in the tape, not the vinyl. As long as the vinyl is adhering to the slick carrier paper you're all right.

njshorts

use even pressure to avoid wrinkles/bubbles... pushing that large of a roll of tape is tough (we do the same thing)... you might want to try a big squeegee laminator tool. we bought one for use on big mask jobs, saved a lot of frustration.

signguy 55

I agree a full log of 24" vinyl is a little aggravating, but start your tape square to the edge of the carrier paper and vinyl and you'll be fine. The more tape you use the easier rolling out the tape will be since it's going to get lighter and lighter. ( My wife does it that way, she's not a big woman by any means. She can put her arm in a 3" core!) She just gets on her tiptoes and goes at it.

One thing I forgot to mention, I use a core from a roll of magnetic material. It's a lot thicker and stronger than a core from vinyl, the magnetic core I use has been used so much it's actually got a burnished shine to it. It's works great.

There's always different ways to get the job done. As long as it works.

HaroldDesign

I roll out the tape leaving the adhesive side up and apply the print to it rather than the other way around. No bubbles.