• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

applying high intensity sheeting to metal sign blanks

When applying high intensity sheeting to metal sign blanks, do I need a laminator to feed the high intensity thru? I want to speed up the process of applying the sheeting rather than using a squeegee.

I am aware that it will take some abuse so in this case, what type of Laminator should I go with. Will a higher priced one handle the abuse better? ..or should I be looking at a entry level Laminator for an easy and cost effective replacement later down the road? Thanks

pre-sheeted blanks is an option but my customers ask for both engineer grade and high intensity. I'm also not sure if that will be as cost effective but I will research it, not a bad idea

Tony McD

+1 for pre-sheeted

I wouldn't ruin a laminator running sharp objects through, it would turn your
laminator into crap really quick.
Maybe if you took to time to file the edges smooth, but any cuts in your rollers
will show when you laminate other prints, repeating every time the roller comes around.

Maybe a big squeegee would work, and be cheap enough if ruined?

I specify in traffic signs and would only really be using it to apply the sheeting. Is it even possible for high intensity to bubble? The lettering will be applied with what appears to be transfer tape on a raised frame...what is the term for this tool? NOOB lol

trophybass

We have Specialized in traffic signs for 14 years. If you are going to continue to sheet blanks you should invest in a hand squeeze roll applicator. It's really the only proper way to apply HI or EG or any other sheeting or ec overlay film. As far as your question about bubbling, yes it can bubble and it is an e pensive mistake. As with anything else it will take some trial and error.

StarSign

Buy sheeted blanks, we have been doing traffic signs for 15+ yrs. and have found that unless you order a truckload of alum. its better to buy ready to go. Plus many citys/states/towns require specific alum. (T8085 Non recycled).

J&R Sign Company

We have Specialized in traffic signs for 14 years. If you are going to continue to sheet blanks you should invest in a hand squeeze roll applicator. It's really the only proper way to apply HI or EG or any other sheeting or ec overlay film. As far as your question about bubbling, yes it can bubble and it is an e pensive mistake. As with anything else it will take some trial and error.

Squeeze roll applicator is the proper way to do it. Check out highwayhandyman.com, they are a manufacturer of squeeze rollers.

Kevin-shopVOX

I think your referring to a speedpress.

Mine landed in the dumpster, but for applying a single layer of sheeting... it may be worth a look
Speedpress is awesome for quick table work. Quick application of the most common type of signs for most shops. I'm surprised more shops don't use it or a big squeegee for a lot of their table work. Eliminating transfer tape application and removal cuts down on time (most expensive aspect in your shop) and materials.