• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying laminate to adhesive vinyl before it is applied to substrate

Boyblue

I plan to purchase printed vinyl (probably from one of the guys that is always helpful on this site) We will then apply that vinyl to a substrate locally. Most of the signs are for indoors so there is no need for UV protection but a few are for outdoors so I'm wondering if I could have him apply laminate to those, so that our process could be a one pass process on an el cheapo laminator.

Are there any other options for gaining life expectancy for outdoor signs? Also any recommendations for a 24" or maybe 30" laminator to be used to apply a few hundred signs and then retired? The substrate will likely be 030 Polystyrene.

Last edited:

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
I am sure your supplier could laminate the prints for you.
I use a cheapo eBay manual laminator all the time and have had no issues with it.

brycesteiner

I got a 60" laminator from signstech and it's been great. I also bought a large UV printer that I cannot recommend at all. If you get something and don't need support you'll probably be fine. If you buy it from overseas because you want to save quite a bit, it may end up costing a lot. The laminator probably doesn't need much support, but keep that in mind.

Boyblue

I got a 60" laminator from signstech and it's been great. I also bought a large UV printer that I cannot recommend at all. If you get something and don't need support you'll probably be fine. If you buy it from overseas because you want to save quite a bit, it may end up costing a lot. The laminator probably doesn't need much support, but keep that in mind.

I didn't read all the info from my guy. He did offer lamination on outdoor prints, so we're good there.