• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying large printed decals

FrankieTeardrop

Hello, I never had issues with this before but I'm applying large laminated print decals of 3m controltac vinyl to the sides of vans & I'm having issues with the deep body lines of the van. The decals are roughly 3'x5' & the problem is that the air is not escaping from under the vinyl. Before I had a printer I used to order the decals from a wholesale place & I remember the vinyl having a noticeable grid pattern & seemed a little thicker & the bubbles would just push right out. Am I using the wrong vinyl or should I wet apply? I had done a couple of these vans already & the vinyl is bubbling back up from that body line. I heated up the vinyl a lot with the heat gun but I can't tell if I hit the 200 degree mark to relax it.

phototec

Two things, yes it sounds like you are using the wrong media, should be using 3M Controltac Plus Graphic Film with Comply, special channels allow trapped air to escape, which reduces air bubbles that typically occur as large format graphics are installed.

And you can get a Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer with Laser for $39.99 that will help you measure the temperature.

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

:peace!:

FrankieTeardrop

Right on, thanks! I've been wanting one of those thermometers so I'll get right on that. I just figured controltac was the stuff but I guess there IS something better suited for trying to apply in those channels.

thewvsignguy

Are the prints you received from the wholesaler laminated? Are you trying to install the graphics you printed without a laminate? I'm sure without a laminate and the air channels it's going to be a pain to install.

FrankieTeardrop

Yeah, I just sent them a question about it. Thanks for the info! I need to find out what type to get since I want to print these here now.