• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying lettering over wraps

racershawn

I have been asked to put a wrap on a truck ... just the fill background.. then apply all the lettering over it ... anyone do this very often...there is a chance that he may want the lettering changed again in a year or so... any isues i should look for if i do this??? thanks shawn

ericmitchell29

I've done it. I haven't tried removing it and reapplying new lettering but here is an example... Added the fluorescent orange to the car. Everything should turn out fine, as long as your not stretching the wrap in that area where it may mess up the registration of an overlayed graphic.
Not sure if that answers your concern... Your probably more worried about removing and reapplying right? That I'm not sure of.

Attachments

• jgcar1_jpg.jpg
    jgcar1_jpg.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 218

Bigdawg

Just Me
We regularly put cast vinyl over 3M laminated wraps... the longest one has been out there before I change the lettering has been 6 months.

encadtech

I did a Hunter Douglas Sprinter Van - removed their vinyl overlay and replaced - The key is temp control for removal - It has to be cool to get the overlay off without removing the wrap underneath. GL

CheapVehicleWrap

If the 1st vinyl is not properly seated it will suck and you'll lift and create creases. If the base is adhered properly it shouldn't be a problem. I also wouldn't use the same vinyls either. a calendared overlay perhaps.

Custom Bob

When they letter Nascar Sprint Cup cars they put a wrap over top the other and remove the top one after a race. There only on the car a handful of weeks though.
You may also want to use 3M vinyl primer on all the edges and seams, so your wrap adheres better.

trik

we do it all the time, but don't remember the last time we actually change it. We have done that, but it was like a couple months later when they changed numbers to an 800 number.

joezeppii

You may also want to use 3M vinyl primer on all the edges and seams, so your wrap adheres better.

I was told by my sales rep at Fellers that the 3M primer is only for 3M wrap vinyls. if you use another brand, the primer chemicals will negatively affect the vinyl adhesive and it will fail.......it happened to me on a Dodge Durango in the deep creases around the wheel wells.

encadtech

An Oracal rep told me directly at the USSC show NOT TO USE 3M primer on their products because it will cause their adhesive to fail.

GB2

Old Member
If you were planning on removing, I'd also use a removable adhesive vinyl, though they typically do not contour very well.