• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Applying vinyl logos to fluted glass doors

HWPhilly

Hey everyone, I have a big client of ours that wants to add tenant logos to fluted glass doors (see attached pic). I haven't went to check them out yet, but I'm pretty sure both sides are fluted. Anyone ever attempted to letter these with vinyl? Curious what everyone thinks or if you have any suggestions beside hiring someone to hand letter them w/ paint. Thanks.
xWCnS4I.jpg

unclebun

I'd have to see the cross-section of the fluting to know if it would cause a problem. A small depth of wave isn't going to cause problems.

HWPhilly

Yeah, I know it's hard to tell without actually seeing it in person and seeing how deep they really go. I believe it's similar to the pic below. I don't think they want to go for actual signs onto it. I thought about that too. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow in person. I tried googling to see some pics of other ones that were lettered but I couldn't find anything really.
dowloadbrochure-newsletter.jpg

unclebun

That picture shows flutes deep enough that you wouldn't be able to just squeegee normally across them. You could probably get vinyl on there by holding a metal squeegee (the wallpaper kind you use for putting application tape on) vertically and carefully going up and down the flutes.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Seperate signs glued to the glass is your best bet. If that isn't an option, I would contact the interior design firm and ask them what to use, then follow their advice. If they had no advice, I would point that out to the client and politely pass on the job.

You could always try some vinyl, but I don't think it will work without trapping air pockets. Hand lettering would be a nightmare. You could probably print with the right latex flatbed printer and get reasonable results if designed with enough latitude to accommodate the texture.

Billct2

Agree about the panels, but I would look at using some type of adhesive back plastic velcro for mounting. They will be changed. Strips on the high spots should do it.

HecklnDecalr

This just requires careful installation. We have done graphics on glass like this before. if you can use vinyl with air egress you're laughing, if not you just need to slowly apply over the crest of the bump from top to bottom and then incrementally jam the vinyl into the valley moving down the graphic. You may have a few bubbles in the end, but nothing a healthy poke won't fix.

bigben

I would recommend a vinyl like 3M 480 and using a rolley-pro to install it.

Exactly what I was about to suggest. I've just installed regular cast cut vinyl with clear premask on a concret ceiling with a rollepro and it work great. You can heat the vinyl with the premask on it and it work perfectly.