Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Applying vinyl logos to fluted glass doors

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by HeathW, May 6, 2019.

1. HeathW

HeathW New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Philadelphia
    Hey everyone, I have a big client of ours that wants to add tenant logos to fluted glass doors (see attached pic). I haven't went to check them out yet, but I'm pretty sure both sides are fluted. Anyone ever attempted to letter these with vinyl? Curious what everyone thinks or if you have any suggestions beside hiring someone to hand letter them w/ paint. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I'd have to see the cross-section of the fluting to know if it would cause a problem. A small depth of wave isn't going to cause problems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Is this just like coroplast but with glass?

4. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Clear silicone a flat sign to it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. a77

a77 Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Canada
    And cover up the other side with another sign or something rigid so you don't see the globs of silicone.

• Like Like x 3
  6. HeathW

HeathW New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, I know it's hard to tell without actually seeing it in person and seeing how deep they really go. I believe it's similar to the pic below. I don't think they want to go for actual signs onto it. I thought about that too. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow in person. I tried googling to see some pics of other ones that were lettered but I couldn't find anything really.
    [​IMG]

7. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

That picture shows flutes deep enough that you wouldn't be able to just squeegee normally across them. You could probably get vinyl on there by holding a metal squeegee (the wallpaper kind you use for putting application tape on) vertically and carefully going up and down the flutes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Make sure you bring a sample piece of vinyl with you to see if it will stick to the fluted glass.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    Seperate signs glued to the glass is your best bet. If that isn't an option, I would contact the interior design firm and ask them what to use, then follow their advice. If they had no advice, I would point that out to the client and politely pass on the job.

You could always try some vinyl, but I don't think it will work without trapping air pockets. Hand lettering would be a nightmare. You could probably print with the right latex flatbed printer and get reasonable results if designed with enough latitude to accommodate the texture.

10. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Agree about the panels, but I would look at using some type of adhesive back plastic velcro for mounting. They will be changed. Strips on the high spots should do it.

11. This just requires careful installation. We have done graphics on glass like this before. if you can use vinyl with air egress you're laughing, if not you just need to slowly apply over the crest of the bump from top to bottom and then incrementally jam the vinyl into the valley moving down the graphic. You may have a few bubbles in the end, but nothing a healthy poke won't fix.

12. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I would recommend a vinyl like 3M 480 and using a rolley-pro to install it.

13. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Exactly what I was about to suggest. I've just installed regular cast cut vinyl with clear premask on a concret ceiling with a rollepro and it work great. You can heat the vinyl with the premask on it and it work perfectly.

• Like Like x 1