• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying Vinyl on Vinyl

Centro Graphics

Hey Guys.

We have a promotional vehicle for a customer were we wrap a large dibond clad box on a weekly basis with new graphics each time using Mactac removable. So each week we strip and apply a new graphic, easy stuff.

Now though they would like us apply two promo versions on top of each other so they can strip the top layer off themselves whilst its on the road. The removable is fine on the dibond, or painted surfaces but doesnt come off so well when apoplied on top of vinyl. You know the story, possibly lifts off parts the bottom layer or stretches it.
We are using a satin finish lam.
We would use a permanent bottom layer to give top layer removable a better chance of coming off.
We have thought of applying a layer of app tape, this idea wont wrok really.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do it reversed. Instead of putting them both on and taking one off. Just put the first one on and when needed apply the second one to it, if they can't do it any other way. Sometimes, customers must be educated that what they want is not always necessarily obtainable. It might cost them in the longrun.

Centro Graphics

Thanks for your reply Gino.

Yes that is what we have been doing so far when needed. This one is different as it will be finishing a promo on a sunday and doing a diff promo at the same store the following monday morning.

As the first is only a three day promo we are going to put application tape on top of the vinyl layer (via the laminator) that goes underneath and apply on top of that, hopefully then the top one will come off easily.

Typical design agency, think they know it all, but don't know practicalities.

Thanks

CanuckSigns

Have you considered using phototex for the "temporary" top layer, it sticks to pretty much anything and removes perfectly clean

Make sure you order the opaque version as the regular version is a it see through when applied overtop of other graphics.

Billct2

Did you test your idea of applying over transfer tape?
I'm skeptical of it working.
If its a simple shape they should be able to apply the graphic themselves.

Centro Graphics

Hey Guys

We did a couple more tests. I know what you mean with being careful applying on top of app tape, but it seems it sticks really well. Better than permanent adhesive too. Will probably go for a low tack app tape too.

They won't be able to apply themselves as this is a huge paint pot model at 6.8 metre circumference and 2.7 metres high. :wink:

Will let you know how it goes.

Asad110

Apply your sticker (Top layer sticker) on top of Mactac MacMask 28.180 through lamination machine. Easy solution for Stick/Remove.

Centro Graphics

Hey guys.

Reporting back as promised.

We went ahead and applied app tape to the bottom layer of printed (and lammed) vinyl then applied removable printed on top. Top layer needed for three days, then stripped off, it worked perfectly. Top layer was great, bottom layer NOT damaged or stretched.

Tips and tricks? Well there you go.:wink:

Centro Graphics

Hi All

The above worked really well on the layer on layer in the end.

Though now we have a high end client looking for a similar solution in putting printed temp advertising on top of a 3M wrap. Since the above was nearly 4 years ago. Thought to check with the community, see if any other ideas or a material that might be a good option to temporarily apply onto a permananet 3M IJ180 wrap. The top layer advertising wouldneed be changed anywhere from 1 month to 3 month intervals.

Your comments ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Centro Graphics

Thanks for the heads up and link.

Though doesnt say that it would remove easily without damage from being applied onto vinyl, or in this case, on top of 3M 8518 laminate.

ikarasu

Thanks for the heads up and link.

Though doesnt say that it would remove easily without damage from being applied onto vinyl, or in this case, on top of 3M 8518 laminate.

It's their most changeable film. It comes off really easy - it's what busses and transport companies use for temp graphics. I suggest asking your 3M rep for a sample. We use it on top of other graphics quite often and it works good.

You could also use xbase as a second overlaminate layer if it's not too curvy. I haven't used it, but it looks great and I've heard good things.

http://www.gansdigital.com/2017/01/19/x-base-is-here/

There's also idot. Super removable vinyl for vehicles and other stuff... I would ask bigfish to confirm its compatible going ontop of other overlaminate though.

www.gansdigital.com/2017/01/18/idot_next_gen/

Compared to 5 years ago... There's a ton of super removable media out there. Idot and the 3m are probably your best bet for a vehicle.

equippaint

It's their most changeable film. It comes off really easy - it's what busses and transport companies use for temp graphics. I suggest asking your 3M rep for a sample. We use it on top of other graphics quite often and it works good.

You could also use xbase as a second overlaminate layer if it's not too curvy. I haven't used it, but it looks great and I've heard good things.

http://www.gansdigital.com/2017/01/19/x-base-is-here/

There's also idot. Super removable vinyl for vehicles and other stuff... I would ask bigfish to confirm its compatible going ontop of other overlaminate though.

www.gansdigital.com/2017/01/18/idot_next_gen/

Compared to 5 years ago... There's a ton of super removable media out there. Idot and the 3m are probably your best bet for a vehicle.
I think some people said idot falls off in the rain? Maybe it was a different material though

ikarasu

Maybe it does. All I know about most of these films is what I see on here... Being in Canada has its downfalls on occasion, you guys get such cheap prices and so many options for media! Weve used the 3m variant. Idot seems more suitable... But if it falls off In the rain i doubt it'd be useful.

Centro Graphics

Sorry for the protracted reply, been travelling and on vacation. Looks like we are using the 3M product, see how it goes. Thanks for help guys.