• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying Vinyl Sheets and decals to CARC paint!

jjw2002

Has anyone had experience applying cast vinyl to military grade CARC paint? I'm wondering if it can be done and how well it will adhere to the paint. I can't seem to find any information on this subject so am wondering if it can even be done or if the truck will have to be wet sanded and repainted. Thanks in advance!

2B

vinyl adhesion is going to be more related to amount of VOC within the paint. Low or no VOC paint will have to be prepped before graphics.
rubbing the area with alcohol or roughing the surface up usually is the best options

ideally you can place a test piece and see what it does.

Never really heard of the CARC paint. Just assumed it was a flat paint. Always assumed they had specs just not a super special paint. This stuff resists corrosion and penetration to chemicals. So decontaminating in the even of a bio attack is easy and you won't transfer chemicals to your new location. Also the paint(based on it's color) gives off a heat signature similar to it's surroundings. For example the dark green will give off the same heat signature as a plant in photosynthesis. Thus making it invisible to infared and other heat seeking weapons. Cool Stuff. Sounds like it's made to have nothing stick that easily to it though. Might be a PITA to do.

Desert_Signs

It's not going to be a matter of it just being CARC. CARC can be nice and smooth or very rough and sandpapery, it can also be pretty chalked up. It's going to depend on who painted it, how old it is, etc.

Your best bet is to try a couple vinyls on the actual vehicle. I had a M1009 painted with CARC and I had no problem sticking plain old calendared vinyl to it.