• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying Vinyl to Both Sides of a Substrate at Once

letterman7

Better question: why? Do one side, then flip it and do the other. There is no time saver by doing both at the same time, even if it could be done.

mike59413

Better question: why? Do one side, then flip it and do the other. There is no time saver by doing both at the same time, even if it could be done.
Regular Method:
1 side = 10 min.
2 sides = 20 min.

Laying Both Sides Method:
2 sides = 10 min
4 sides = 20 min

How is that not a time saver?

I have a Cool Lam 640c

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Even with encapsulating media.... it's not a perfect science. I don't think you can register it perfectly enough if you're doing 4' x 8's.

Besides, why does it take you 10 minutes to lay down a strip of vinyl. Even by hand... by yourself it should faster than that.

With the use of a 'Big Squeegee' you can do it in a minute or two. Check out Dale's videos... a Merchant Member here at s101, for the application tool of the century.

mike59413

10 min. was just a guess, applying it a 4x8 sheet of coroplast might not take that long, all it is is lining up the graphic, tacking one side down, and doing the rest using the big squeegee.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
10 min. was just a guess, applying it a 4x8 sheet of coroplast might not take that long, all it is is lining up the graphic, tacking one side down, and doing the rest using the big squeegee.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that when you want to make a statement.... it was absolute fact as in your post #7, but when you're questioned on your abilities, then its just a guess and your facts don't mean squat ??

I'm not bustin' on ya, but it doesn't seem as if you've thought this through very well. It seems you've just contradicted yourself in your own post.

So what is it ?? A waste of time or not ??

With or without an electric laminator doing the work, it can't take 10 minutes to do, unless you're doing something very wrong.

:banghead:

mike59413

I never said it was an absolute fact, I was explaining how laying both sides of the substrate would cut your time in half, next time ill time myself so that my theory is accurate enough to please you.

Pat Whatley

Seriously I've seen it done in a shop I stopped into in Jacksonville, FL. They were mounting to 3mm PVC 4x8 blanks. It just seemed to me that they were spending an awful lot of time setting them up. Granted, I don't know jack squat about laminators so they may have just been having trouble, but they played hell trying to get the two sides to align exactly (the sheets were being cut down into several individual signs) If it was just a double sided 4x8 it wouldn't have mattered.

I've been working with laminators for years and am always looking and thinking about more efficient ways to mount and lam things... but have never considered trying to do both sides at once... With things like double sided coro yard signs (18x24ish) I will lay a 4x8 sheet, flip, lay a second 4x8 sheet, and then trim. But other than that... doesn't really make much sense.

Maybe if you were just trying to do solid colors...

Ugh.. hurts my brain.