• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Applying vinyl to cut out letters

SkyHighSigns

Good morning everyone i need some suggestions or tricks on applying vinyl to some Max Metal 1/8" thick cut out letters !! We have a laminator with a roller we can use for applying.

Thanks in advanced !

:supersmilie:

Billct2

Are you sheeting the letters or applying a cut vinyl letter that has land in a particular spot?

rossmosh

If you're going to ask a question about what seems to be every project, it would be a common courtesy to provide some actual details.

jwilde

We usually start a few inch leading edge by hand and run them through a cold laminator if it's a basic color change and nothing has to line up. If you have borders or elements that need to be placed in a specific position we use a light table to make the placement and weights to hold it in place while we start the leading edge.

The only problem with the wet application is the wait time to trim. You should wait a day or so before attempting to trim because it will just lift on you. I personally never really like to wet app, only as a last resort.

Side note, I really don't understand why there always has to be at least one person that talks about "common courtesy" to provide more information and then proceed to complain. If you don't know what they want, simply ask the specific questions you need answered to provide help or just move on. I'm new here and am trying to give a little help as I've received some and just want to give back, but it's really irritating to always see this post. Do people just copy and paste this in every thread just to be pricky???

rossmosh

How would you like it if you had a regular customer that emailed every few weeks for an order. The subject "ORDER". The message "I need a sign. 2ft x 3ft. how much? How fast? tnx, Johnny Jammers"

If you want good advise, you need to tell people what you're doing. Otherwise you're going to get generic advise that may or may not be applicable.

pijuicer

How would you like it if you had a regular customer that emailed every few weeks for an order. The subject "ORDER". The message "I need a sign. 2ft x 3ft. how much? How fast? tnx, Johnny Jammers"

If you want good advise, you need to tell people what you're doing. Otherwise you're going to get generic advise that may or may not be applicable.
I see your point but guidance in a polite manner rather than being (what appears to be) rude on these forums would be more widely accepted. Maybe type up a simple response that you can keep handy and copy and paste in your replies when you feel like information is lacking. If you don't have time then maybe just avoid the post. Sample: Hey There, I could probably give you some guidance but with all the possible variables it would be helpful if you could provide the job details as every job is different.

oel10

We usually start a few inch leading edge by hand and run them through a cold laminator if it's a basic color change and nothing has to line up. If you have borders or elements that need to be placed in a specific position we use a light table to make the placement and weights to hold it in place while we start the leading edge.

The only problem with the wet application is the wait time to trim. You should wait a day or so before attempting to trim because it will just lift on you. I personally never really like to wet app, only as a last resort.

Side note, I really don't understand why there always has to be at least one person that talks about "common courtesy" to provide more information and then proceed to complain. If you don't know what they want, simply ask the specific questions you need answered to provide help or just move on. I'm new here and am trying to give a little help as I've received some and just want to give back, but it's really irritating to always see this post. Do people just copy and paste this in every thread just to be pricky???

Rapid Tac is sometimes helpful as it dries quicker then soap/water mix. Denco has this product as well as other vendors.

letterman7

Pre-sheet, then rout your letters. Or if they're already cut, apply an oversized sheet as you would any other vinyl job and trim to contour.

thesignpost

Pre-sheet, then rout your letters. Or if they're already cut, apply an oversized sheet as you would any other vinyl job and trim to contour.
Pre sheeting with vinyl doesnt work because the router bit is an up flute, it will lift the vinyl and the cut debris gets under it. A laminator is difficult, but it can be done. Hand method is best. Using wrap vinyl should be used because of the air egress adhesive, sign vinyl is the cheaper option, but it can be difficult because of possible bubbling. I never do a wet application, only as last resort. Another option is spray painting.

Sample: Hey There, I could probably give you some guidance but with all the possible variables it would be helpful if you could provide the job details as every job is different.

In other words, Hey There, I could probably give you some guidance but with all the possible variables it would be helpful if you could utilize a bit of common sense.

Just sayin'. I am amazed that people really need to be trained at this sort of thing. As a professional, dealing with customers or other industry peers, it's best to at least attempt to provide as much information as possible the first time around. Sure, sometimes details might get overlooked or fall through the cracks, but c'mon people. Have a little courtesy to at least lay out some necessary details.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
Pre sheeting with vinyl doesnt work because the router bit is an up flute, it will lift the vinyl and the cut debris gets under it. A laminator is difficult, but it can be done. Hand method is best. Using wrap vinyl should be used because of the air egress adhesive, sign vinyl is the cheaper option, but it can be difficult because of possible bubbling. I never do a wet application, only as last resort. Another option is spray painting.
Agreed; however when I choose to pre-sheet and then rout, I do an engrave pass with a "V" bit just far enough down to break the vinyl--works great and routs vinyl clean...then use your straight flute to rout out the letters. Done this many times with success,...but haven't tried it with a 3mm thickness---not sure if there's enough meat there for this method.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Just sayin'. I am amazed that people really need to be trained at this sort of thing. As a professional, dealing with customers or other industry peers, it's best to at least attempt to provide as much information as possible the first time around. Sure, sometimes details might get overlooked or fall through the cracks, but c'mon people. Have a little courtesy to at least lay out some necessary details.

I thought the orig post was pretty clear. As "a professional" I knew right away what the dilemma was and what was being asked.

I thought the orig post was pretty clear. As "a professional" I knew right away what the dilemma was and what was being asked.

Well I guess I'm not much of a professional as it was not clear to me whether he's covering the entire face of each letter or applying cut vinyl to each letter. I'm not sure how you deducted whatever it is the OP is doing from his post, but it sure wouldn't have been unreasonable to specify that little detail in the original post just to clarify things a bit.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Well I guess I'm not much of a professional as it was not clear to me whether he's covering the entire face of each letter or applying cut vinyl to each letter. I'm not sure how you deducted whatever it is the OP is doing from his post, but it sure wouldn't have been unreasonable to specify that little detail in the original post just to clarify things a bit.

I understand the need to know a bit more info but it's more professional to simply ask politely. We have to be considerate of the experience level. My suggestion (SpeedPress) wouldn't matter whether covering the whole or only part. Or, as one suggested, if covering the whole, just cover with an oversized piece, flip over then trim around.

Now, let's practice professional courtesy and be done with the matter.