• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying wide vinyl to exterior window

Signguy100

Hello, I have a job that requires me to cover 6 large windows (approx 45 wide x 75" tall) They just want a solid red vinyl covering the entire windows. Would you suggest I just start at the top removing the backing a little at a time ? Would I use Spray as I go or would I risk getting the backing wet ? Any suggestions on how to do this alone without messing it up ?

Thanks again

visual800

we would tape it off to where it is square against the window and start from top. peeling off ONLY the backing you can apply at a time while holding the rest of the roll. we have done wet and dry. if you could talk them into perf that sure would be a lot better

by yourself can be done but it will wear you out

jfiscus

Rap Master
You may want to have the windows checked to be sure applying that much vinyl of a solid darker color will not damage them in extreme temperatures.
I also would recommend perf.

Kwiksigns

wookie
two people is very unnecessary... I spray the window, stick the vinyl to the wet window so the backer is facing you. The vinyl will stick and let you pull the entire backer off. soak the adhesive with whatever application fluid you prefer. pull the vinyl off and flip it onto the window. Should be very easy to do by yourself.

I do the same as Kiwksigns too, you can add some masking tape at the top to better hold if from slipping down on you....red film installed on the exterior of glass should be fine, double pane glass its when you install dark film/colors on the inside that can put stress on the glass and crack it.

afarraway

You may want to have the windows checked to be sure applying that much vinyl of a solid darker color will not damage them in extreme temperatures.
I also would recommend perf.
Agreed, I have seen quite a bit of expansion due to dark color vinyl. If window perf is an option I would recommend because of ease of install. The holes act sort of as air release, just avoid hard creases.