• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Approximate Cost For Flex Faces

iSign

if you can't even inspect the damn thing yourself, in your township... then WTF good is it for you to even have an opinion on the price... you think you gave enough info & ya ain't given shit... nobody can say a damn thing about the price without details, except to tell you to go figure it out & come back... but people don't want to even waste the time to say that... it's so frikkin obvious you don't know jack about the job, this discussion was over before it started... the thread is only about your whiney-ass feelings of entitlement and then poor victimized little GFX wants to send out "infractions" ...I ain't heard that term in 10 years here & you roll it out twice today... you a little cop-wanna-be ?? poor hurt feelings... geeze.. grow a pair dude!!

Salmoneye

I don't do this type of work and often have to call the guy that I sub this stuff out to. I also have to ask these types of questions sometimes as a sign might be too high off the ground for me to inspect. My guy says " X amount for the faces, start at X amount if it needs a little electrical and that could go up to X amount if it is all shot." You really don't have enough information for a great quote but I do think that you have enough information for what you asked for, a range , rough estimate or ballpark of what this job might go for retail assuming that you have a good cabinet and want (2) 10 x 20 flex faces installed, new ballasts and bulbs for an average sign of that size and no painting or fastener replacement. It doesn't really matter what the actual sign has inside of it as long as you know that once you get up there it could be a different setup and the price given could be a moot point. It is always nice to have an idea on pricing to compare to. If you don't receive assistance here let me know and I will call and get a ballpark from my guy, he is quite nice and I don't think that he would mind. If you are not familiar with this kind of sign you might also not want to inspect it by yourself in case that there is an electrical issue or you don't know how to be safe at those heights. You are a wrap guy and heights kill, height and electricity kills even more efficiently; heights, electricity, inexperience and lack of knowledge.... you get the point. If you have a chance to be there when your contractor inspects or does the work you should try to be there as he might be able to give you a little education while he is there. Best of luck on your job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whoops.................

Looks like some are starting the week out on a good foot. :thumb:

I don't know.... I think he gave enough information for a quick estimate, however, I'd never approach it the way graphix is doing. Hardly seems worth all that aerial work of replacing sockets, wiring, ballasts, raceways, and then patching the innards of a sign that hasn't been touched in over 12 years.

I would recommend to your customer to replace it entirely. That way, you know nothing's been missed. Doing it your way can get you or your customer in a lot of trouble if the person he finally gets to do it..... cuts corners you suggested otherwise. My other question is.... if you can't do it, have no knowledge of such signs [admittedly], cannot furnish anything towards the signs or completion.... or even a new one.... why is he asking you anything at all ??

Wouldn't it have made more sense to tell your customer you'll go over the quotes with him to make sure they are fair. Remember, these other guys need to make a profit and be paid for their work, so unless everyone's out to rip the other guy off...... why again is it.... he needs your help ??

This is not in any fashion putting you down, but asking you why you offered help on something you know absolutely nothing about ?? :help

Last point is.... not many like discussing price in sections other than the 'Premium' section. You might want to consider joining and trying there. :thumb:

Last edited:

Salmoneye

I sub out this type of work for the same reason that I sub out anything else like silk screening or business cards... My customer doesn't have to think next time "What sign shop should we call for this type of sign?" they just call me and I handle it. I already have their art, can provide mock ups... I can also mark up my product and make a slight profit. We give a quality service because we select subs that stand behind their work.

I would say that he should let the electrical contractor evaluate the integrity and viability of the innards. Graphix is assuming quite a lot and this sign might just need an inexpensive ballast and a couple of bulbs and run for years and years to come. On signs like this I give my customer a best case and worst case price and then say that there is a chance that if everything is shot that a new sign would be the best option... We have many customers in poorer parts of the city that just can't afford much. Many will even opt for stretching a new face and leaving the sign un-lit. We try to sell them the best marketing tool for the buck but sometimes the buck just isn't there. I have had clients who I was so sure about the signage changing their business that I have financed an upgrade out of my own pocket. Not a very smart business model in general but it has worked for me so far (knock on MDO).
Thanks too for the comment in the beginning Gino. Not to knock some of the folks here because they have valid points as well but sometimes I don't even want to ask a question because I don't want to deal.
As far as offering help about something I know absolutely nothing about (Not that I am the first, lol). First, I didn't say that I know absolutely nothing about this, I said that I don't do this type of work as I am not licensed as of yet here in this city to do it. That being said, it is true I don't know much. What I do know is that this guy is asking for a little more information so that he can more intelligently choose a contractor to sub to and learn more. I do know how to get him the information that he desires and since I don't think that he was getting what he wanted I offered to help provide it to him. Might not be the best choice but my info was better than no choice (I thought). This is how I learned and I like to try and support the forum as best I can.
All of us have a different standard of what deserves a response and what kind. I just happened to think that I should respond to this one.
As for price, if he wants that info from me it will be in the form of a PM.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I sub out this type of work for the same reason that I sub out anything else like silk screening or business cards... My customer doesn't have to think next time "What sign shop should we call for this type of sign?" they just call me and I handle it. I already have their art, can provide mock ups... I can also mark up my product and make a slight profit. We give a quality service because we select subs that stand behind their work.

I would say that he should let the electrical contractor evaluate the integrity and viability of the innards. Graphix is assuming quite a lot and this sign might just need an inexpensive ballast and a couple of bulbs and run for years and years to come. On signs like this I give my customer a best case and worst case price and then say that there is a chance that if everything is shot that a new sign would be the best option... We have many customers in poorer parts of the city that just can't afford much. Many will even opt for stretching a new face and leaving the sign un-lit. We try to sell them the best marketing tool for the buck but sometimes the buck just isn't there. I have had clients who I was so sure about the signage changing their business that I have financed an upgrade out of my own pocket. Not a very smart business model in general but it has worked for me so far (knock on MDO).

Thanks too for the comment in the beginning Gino. Not to knock some of the folks here because they have valid points as well but sometimes I don't even want to ask a question because I don't want to deal.
As far as offering help about something I know absolutely nothing about (Not that I am the first, lol). First, I didn't say that I know absolutely nothing about this, I said that I don't do this type of work as I am not licensed as of yet here in this city to do it. That being said, it is true I don't know much. What I do know is that this guy is asking for a little more information so that he can more intelligently choose a contractor to sub to and learn more. I do know how to get him the information that he desires and since I don't think that he was getting what he wanted I offered to help provide it to him. Might not be the best choice but my info was better than no choice (I thought). This is how I learned and I like to try and support the forum as best I can.
All of us have a different standard of what deserves a response and what kind. I just happened to think that I should respond to this one.
As for price, if he wants that info from me it will be in the form of a PM

I wasn't referring to you at all. I was answering the OP's questions, only. Your observations and suggestions were good and probably helpful. :thumb:

Salmoneye

Ha! Apparently my coffee induces vanity and ego in such proportions that I think everyone is talking to me! I enjoyed responding anyway and am really appreciating this morning all here who have contributed to my continuing education.
Have a week everyone.