• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aqua from Ocean Isle Beach North Carolina

Aqua

Hello, I am new to the Forum and not sure yet how it works. My question is : anyone having some bad issues with the Ronan paints these recent years? Since they came out with the new logo? I have experienced more that one issues, the worst being the problem of the paint not developing a skin but simply turning into a thick pasty chewing gum like mass. I have been using Ronan paints for almost 30 years , and until just recently I never had any problems. The gallon sizes are the worst. I contacted Ronan and they claim I am the only person who has these complains. Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thank you!

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Welcome to the forum!
I don't deal with paints, but there are others who do and know a lot about paint.

Aqua

How do you apply it ??
I take the gallon can, pour some into a small 8 or 12 oz can, add a bit of thinner when needed and I use brushes. I paint sandblasted or carved signs with the paint. Have been using Ronan for the past 30 years and had no problem until just recently. Paint will not skin over in the little can, instead it starts thickening up and gradually turns into a paste. If you keep adding thinner the shine will be gone.

Aqua

Other than thinner, what other additives do you use ??
I never needed any before but I just purchased some high temp reducer and flow enhancer, it might help. Never needed anything else before besides thinner, sometimes use linseed oil for blending

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure why you're using bulletin for lettering ?? Bulletins are pigmented higher for better hiding, but less flow. However, they dry faster which doesn't allow much time for flowing out, either.

Now, by taking paint out of a gallon can and going as you need it adding thinner, reducer, linseed oil and the flow enhancer all get dumped back into the gallon can when finished ??

Aqua

Not sure why you're using bulletin for lettering ?? Bulletins are pigmented higher for better hiding, but less flow. However, they dry faster which doesn't allow much time for flowing out, either.

Now, by taking paint out of a gallon can and going as you need it adding thinner, reducer, linseed oil and the flow enhancer all get dumped back into the gallon can when finished ??
These are mostly pictorials and I paint lettering too. I also have one shot as well as lettering paint. My problem is specifically with the recent Ronan bulletin paints in the gallon cans - asking if anybody else experienced the "paste paint"??? The paint I take out of the gallon can I leave it in the 8oz can or cans, these skin over so next day or a week later etc I can come back, remove the skin and paint out of the small can. These specific paste like paints that I have received recently from Ronan are not skinning over in the small can, instead they start turning into a thick chewing gum like paste. This has not been happening for the past 25-30 years I have been using them. This is a new problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, if you don't dump the unused paint back into the can, it can only mean one other thing............ basically the paint is old. Not necessarily in the gallon can, but your little can. Every time you let paint out to dry in the cup or can, you take so much of the many driers outta the paint. It keeps happening until it just gels up as you're describing. Remember 1shot (which is now owned by ronan) changed their recipes drastically in the early 2000's. Every time you take that skin off, you're removing many of the driers still in that little can, until it can't dry anymore. Now, add that to all the additives you paletted into that little can each time ya use it, but most of all, your flow enhancer, you ruined your little can.

tbullo

Superunknown
I think PPG owns 1 shot. Ronan has it's 1 stroke lettering enamel.
Here a picture of a can i received about a month ago. Some of my other cans have A Spraylat company, but they are years old.

Attachments

• 0820241717.jpg
    0820241717.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Aqua

Well, if you don't dump the unused paint back into the can, it can only mean one other thing............ basically the paint is old. Not necessarily in the gallon can, but your little can. Every time you let paint out to dry in the cup or can, you take so much of the many driers outta the paint. It keeps happening until it just gels up as you're describing. Remember 1shot (which is now owned by ronan) changed their recipes drastically in the early 2000's. Every time you take that skin off, you're removing many of the driers still in that little can, until it can't dry anymore. Now, add that to all the additives you paletted into that little can each time ya use it, but most of all, your flow enhancer, you ruined your little can.
I do not think we are on the same page. I have been using the "small can method" for 25-30 years. No problem.

Aqua

Look at this thread......Ian is mentioning the same problem as well. The "paste paint"