• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aqua from Ocean Isle Beach North Carolina

Aqua

The paint should not turn into a paste after standing in a small can for a week.....you should be able to skin it - but there is no skin - and add a little thinner if needed. Instead the whole paint turns into a mass

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Those posts from that other forum are 17 years old.... yet you are just now experiencing the issue?

Aqua

Those posts from that other forum are 17 years old.... yet you are just now experiencing the issue?
It is only some of the paints. Most of them are okay, but a while ago I ordered two gallons of yellow and one gallon of red and these are bad. I complained and they sent me replacement, they arrived in warped cans- usually not a good sign. The replacements were just as bad .The quarts I ordered from supply houses and not directly from Ronan were okay, thicker than used to be but pretty good still and usable.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, you're using posts from 20 years ago in some cases and from hobbyists who are painting decoys........ not signs.

All paints (as in colors) have basically the same formula, but certain colors will have more pigment of pvc of 30% to 55%, while others will have more oils or drying agent mediums. Without pigment, you'd have shellac or varnish.

Most sign painters will use dixie cups and add their additives to the cup. It should last a few days or maybe a week. Then, it's normally dead. If you can reinstitute it, you're not using good quality paint the way it's meant to be used.

I imagine, since you seem to want some specific answer that it's happening to older paints from an older gallon can. You have too many variables to be absolutely certain, but what you've described is just old paint left open too long. I'm going into doing this for over 50 some years, but using artists oils, which will hold their own for months with no treatments at all. We also did many many sandblasted and cared signs over the years. Back in the 80s & 90s it was our specialty.

Aqua

As mentioned, you're using posts from 20 years ago in some cases and from hobbyists who are painting decoys........ not signs.

All paints (as in colors) have basically the same formula, but certain colors will have more pigment of pvc of 30% to 55%, while others will have more oils or drying agent mediums. Without pigment, you'd have shellac or varnish.

Most sign painters will use dixie cups and add their additives to the cup. It should last a few days or maybe a week. Then, it's normally dead. If you can reinstitute it, you're not using good quality paint the way it's meant to be used.

I imagine, since you seem to want some specific answer that it's happening to older paints from an older gallon can. You have too many variables to be absolutely certain, but what you've described is just old paint left open too long. I'm going into doing this for over 50 some years, but using artists oils, which will hold their own for months with no treatments at all. We also did many many sandblasted and cared signs over the years. Back in the 80s & 90s it was our specialty.
They were talking about Ronan paints....never mind. thank you anyway

Aqua

They were talking about Ronan paints....never mind. thank you anyway
The paint I am talking about is not old, unless Ronan sent me old paint. I know how this paint is supposed to look and act, I have been working with Ronan paints since 1992 - and what I am describing here is not what it is supposed to be. Thank you for your help anyway.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I tried to help, but avoiding certain questions..... just made it tough to help. Anyway, your 20 year old posts seemed to help, so go for it, I guess you figured it all out. Care to share your results/findings ??

Johnny Best

You did not get the waterbase paint by mistake and adding thinner, oil base, might cause it to “gum up” as you mentioned. Take a pic of the front of the paint can

Aqua

Well, I tried to help, but avoiding certain questions..... just made it tough to help. Anyway, your 20 year old posts seemed to help, so go for it, I guess you figured it all out. Care to share your results/findings ??
My finding is that I must have received bad, old, outdated paint directly coming from Ronan in the Gallon cans and will not use the company again. Considering that I have been making my living with this since 1992 I know how this paint is supposed to be, I work with it all the time, went through lots of cans and this is unacceptable. I used to paint billboards in the 90's and and sandblasted, hand carved hand painted signs ever since, used to do MDO painted etc. I knoiw the paint and I will not be fooled, just lost money, but not fooled! Thank you for your willingness and good attentions to help, I just merely wanted to know if anybody else experienced this in recent years or am I the only lucky person. Once again as I said this is mainly with the some gallon cans. When I order from a store in smaller cans, since they do not even carry the gallons, paint is much better. Thank you again!

Aqua

You did not get the waterbase paint by mistake and adding thinner, oil base, might cause it to “gum up” as you mentioned. Take a pic of the front of the paint can
I do not have any water based Ronan paint at all, never had any, only oil, plus I just started vacation, not at the shop right now

unclebun

Aqua, I will attest that you aren't crazy. Although I hardly ever paint any more, when I started in this business I did. And we very commonly custom mixed paints for a customer/job and left them in old soup cans or coffee cans to skin over for storage. When you wanted to use them again you cut off the skin and stirred it up, thinned if necessary, and used it again. The last time I did any painting like that was about 2-3 years ago, and the paint still worked that way. I was using 1-Shot though.

Aqua

Aqua, I will attest that you aren't crazy. Although I hardly ever paint any more, when I started in this business I did. And we very commonly custom mixed paints for a customer/job and left them in old soup cans or coffee cans to skin over for storage. When you wanted to use them again you cut off the skin and stirred it up, thinned if necessary, and used it again. The last time I did any painting like that was about 2-3 years ago, and the paint still worked that way. I was using 1-Shot though.
Exactly, thank you, you proved my point! That is exactly how the paint should be . Was not the way with these certain cans of paints, they are bad. Thank you for responding. I also use 1-Shot and will only use 1-Shot from now on due to these problems. Have a wonderful day!