• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

aqueous vinyl laminating

kathykm23

Hi,I have a question about aqueous vinyl laminating. Will laminating this type of vinyl work well outdoors or is it a waste of time to do . The aqueous vinyl I have unfortunately when it gets wet it smears . I think maybe I was told to purchase the wrong vinyl , but prints great. Thanks

RBDesign

look at lexjet.com for Aqueous material. i don't have my Aqueous printer anymore but when i had it lexjet material took care of business for me. laminate will extend outdoor life of your signage.

jmcnicoll

I have aqueous laminated print that have been outside for over 7 years and still look good. Granted it faces north and has little sun. Also had some on what would be the hood of a golf cart and those faded within 8 weeks.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Unless the ink used is a UV aqueous (long since replaced as the standard because of solvent) even the best UV lam for aqueous will cause fading in a short time in the sun. Now ... any of the effects that liquid would do ... no ... and if it's going outside ... print with solvent, even the cheapest solvent print is better outdoors than the most expensive aqueous print due to effects of nature. When I still used vinyl in my HP (rexams dmvla4) I used about every lam out there from some of the thick poly lams that have texture (for floor prints) to your down and dirty lams ... best ones I used though were from kapco ... not the cheapest ... but best. I would use the high gloss from sign supply (now proveer??) but that was because they were located locally in orlando so no freight ... but I swear ... after a year it looks like the lam yellowed so I have no idea what that issue was.

Malkin

Yes, to start you must be using UV aqueous ink.

When we printed and laminated with cast films, we managed to get 5-7 years out of prints before degradation. In fact, usually delamination was happening before ink fade.
We also eventually learned to extend the lam past the edge of the print by 1/4" to 1/2", most especially on vehicles.
I fell like we did pretty good with our aqueous machine, compared to others experience.

That said, any type of solvent machine is less problematic, and is easier and WAY cheaper to find material for. It was getting very hard to compete using the aqueous machine, and it was well worth the investment to go solvent. In fact, it probably kept us solvent :wink: