• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Are flanges and notches [needed] for channel letters? also is this video up to code with outdoor sig

0igo

Okay so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and getting myself an automatic channel letter bender overseas, from the same supplier I got my CNC Router and laminator (which all have worked great). The thing is that their auto channel letter benders do no make flanges and notches in aluminum channel letters. And so I'm a little skeptical about that. Then I seen this video online
and noticed that they don't put and flanges or notches on their returns. Do you guys think their sign won't last or is Lord's Adhesive really that good that it can bond two edges together?

Or is their a way around both methods? Maybe with L brackets? but na that'll take too long lol.

Last edited:

Pitzu

Search on Youtube for Laser welding machine for aluminium channel letter and Handheld laser torch welding

Last edited:

0igo

Search on Youtube for Laser welding machine for aluminium channel letter and Handheld laser torch welding
just looked it up. looks like that solves my question. too bad that table is huge and literally no room in the shop if get it lol. ugh

Pitzu

There is the Handheld laser torch welding option...and looks quite handy and mobile..and fixes the space problem

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There are many different types of channel letters, depending on the application, many ways to fabricate them.

What you are showing in the video is reverse channel letters made from anodized brushed aluminum, the reason you would use adhesive is because any kind of weld would distort the aluminum/finish - reverse channel letters are generally used in halo lit applications or where the face is paint or metal finished dimensional letter/logo

Stainless Steel letters are usually soldered because the heating point of stainless steel is greater than the solder/brazing material

Also, not all channel letters are flanged, for instance, letters that stand alone - where you can see the back of the letters will require a finished back, thats where you might use adhesive, or if painted finish, a combination of tack weld and adhesive.

Most of the signs we design are based on the application, the centers sign criteria where we are forced to use a certain fabrication/installation/material method

visual800

if that is your passion go forth!!! I have built many channel letters back in the day and I personally am glad there are companies that do it for me now. If you can make good money doing it compared to subbing it out I say go for it

Johnny Best

Here's another old post by Oigo wanting to make channel letters. Wonder if he figured it out to make them? Inquiring minds want to know.