• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are Mimaki DIY Repairable Like Roland?

player

I am wondering if Mimaki printer parts, service manuals etc. are out there and if people are working on them the same as Roland owners do?

Are they as prone to frequent breakdowns as Roland printers?

Are they taking away the "right to repair" that Roland appears to be taking removing?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
They are comparable as far as repairing goes. Depending on the model, they can even have the exact same parts since a lot of their machines are based off Epson tech. Although that has been changing recently with Mimaki going towards Ricoh and Panasonic and Roland more toward Ricoh. I haven't heard any news from Mimaki about changing the way service mode works. You can find tech manuals out there. You just can't get them from dealers like me because we signed an NDA.

rjssigns

Mimaki has auto-set for the pinch roller pressure. Weird watching the little carriage come across and hear the clicks. Looks complicated and expensive to repair. JMO.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mimaki has auto-set for the pinch roller pressure. Weird watching the little carriage come across and hear the clicks. Looks complicated and expensive to repair. JMO.

When I first saw the pinch roller setup on the Mimaki I though the exact same thing. I've never replaced one in over 10 years working in the field.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I can't speak for the older/solvent Mimakis, but bases on what the techs told us when installing our UCJV it doesn't seem like much can be done by the end user. I guess we'll find out down the road.
When I first saw the pinch roller setup on the Mimaki I though the exact same thing. I've never replaced one in over 10 years working in the field.

Well that's good to know! I find that feature unnecessary. Is there a way to stop them from checking every time you load a new roll? We never change the settings.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I can't speak for the older/solvent Mimakis, but bases on what the techs told us when installing our UCJV it doesn't seem like much can be done by the end user. I guess we'll find out down the road.

Well that's good to know! I find that feature unnecessary. Is there a way to stop them from checking every time you load a new roll? We never change the settings.

Unfortunately there is no way to turn pinch roller settings off that I know of. I agree that for the most part it's a useless feature but some of my customers do rely on it for certain projects.

The manufacturer will always say there are things only a tech can do. The truth is, I don't learn anything at Mimaki training that is a secret that the manual doesn't have in it. Most of the training is how to do a proper install and just getting your actual hands on the machine before you have to go in the field to fix it.