• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Are there any inksets or settings for the UCJV300 gloss that makes it more comparable to Roland gloss prints?

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Print a nozzle check? Clear ink can do weird things and get a bit foamy and fire weirdly. I think you can also try gloss at 1200x1200 DPI (that might not work, since I am using modded firmware, not sure if it is supported on regular firmware). Also, what firmware are you using?

RonnyCrack

Print a nozzle check? Clear ink can do weird things and get a bit foamy and fire weirdly. I think you can also try gloss at 1200x1200 DPI (that might not work, since I am using modded firmware, not sure if it is supported on regular firmware). Also, what firmware are you using?
V3.2.0 firmware, and I've been mostly doing these tests with 1200x1200 to get better coverage, the 600x1200 tests end up with the same effect but an obviously thinner ink layer, so it's a bit more noticeably textured. 1200x1200 (especially with 2 overprints) starts off pristine and degrades after an inch or two. Nozzle checks are coming back like 99% fine. Truly just feels like it drops less ink after that first inch or two. Here's a better image of the difference - beginning of the print on top, end of the print on bottom:

1000024356.jpg

Smoke_Jaguar

Is your vacuum force set to high? If things start off good, the media might not be lying flat. On the quality page about 2/3 down is the setting to change vacuum.

RonnyCrack

Is your vacuum force set to high? If things start off good, the media might not be lying flat. On the quality page about 2/3 down is the setting to change vacuum.
Yes always set to strong in the printer setup - I'm trying one with it manually set to strong in the quality settings though, in case something isn't translating properly from setup.

Smoke_Jaguar

Can also try tensioning the roll using the take-up roller to make it lie nice and flat. Either media is moving, or nozzles are missing if I were to guess.

RonnyCrack

Can also try tensioning the roll using the take-up roller to make it lie nice and flat. Either media is moving, or nozzles are missing if I were to guess.
Just tried one adding a good amount of tension and no luck either unfortunately. I don't think it's tension or necessarily nozzle related (unless the nozzle is starting to have issues mid print) because no matter how many times I try, it's always pristine at the beginning and degrades by the end. Whether I print one after another, wait between prints, change tension, change UV percentage, etc. the front end of the print is always perfect and degrades after a couple inches. It's just weird. Maybe an issue with head voltage dropping mid-print? I've heard that can cause degradation in the middle of prints.

RonnyCrack

Section 4.2 will go through the calibration process/adjustments.
Oh, shoot, I did all the dot position corrections when I set my head height to high because I was getting a lot of ghosting. So unfortunately not sure calibration is the issue either. Maybe the head slant. I'll run the tests and see if they need any further corrections. I'll report back if I end up with any solution. If not, I'll just hope my clients won't be as nitpicky as I am, lol.
It was never really an issue for me, but now the local print shops have been getting in those LG-640s and although I know they often have a lot of problems, when they do work, they seem to outperform my quality.

Last edited:

Smoke_Jaguar

The clients are the ones you're selling to, get their feedback. The heads on the UCJV300 are industrial heads, each channel is only 150DPI (since Mimaki uses a 4 channel Gen5 instead of the more common 2 channel 300DPI type). The higher DPI is done with scanning, so not as ideal as a newer type machine such as the newer Roland or a unit like a UCJV330. That said, for things like packaging, I've had very good customer satisfaction on the exact type of labels you seem to be making. I also service a few shops nearby that use the UCJV300 as a workhorse for doing MMJ products and similar situation. I think Mimaki had the LED UV patents pretty well locked in on the print-cut and some of the flatbed stuff. Now that those are up, Roland and others are playing catchup. With as finnicky as Epson and other heads can be on UV ink, I'll take the lower resolution of a Gen5 any day.

RonnyCrack

The clients are the ones you're selling to, get their feedback. The heads on the UCJV300 are industrial heads, each channel is only 150DPI (since Mimaki uses a 4 channel Gen5 instead of the more common 2 channel 300DPI type). The higher DPI is done with scanning, so not as ideal as a newer type machine such as the newer Roland or a unit like a UCJV330. That said, for things like packaging, I've had very good customer satisfaction on the exact type of labels you seem to be making. I also service a few shops nearby that use the UCJV300 as a workhorse for doing MMJ products and similar situation. I think Mimaki had the LED UV patents pretty well locked in on the print-cut and some of the flatbed stuff. Now that those are up, Roland and others are playing catchup. With as finnicky as Epson and other heads can be on UV ink, I'll take the lower resolution of a Gen5 any day.
Ultimately yeah I'd rather just have slightly textured gloss than spend $20-50k a year on ink from the excessive waste I hear about Rolands. Not to mention potential downtime. And you're right, I'm just a worry wart. I think about any downtime I might have, clients shopping elsewhere and being more pleased with their results. But realistically, I've had about one week of downtime in the last 2.5 years and it was an easy fix, so it's not a common issue I should worry about. Sorry, just doing some self reassurance here lol

Goatshaver

Shaving goats and eating bushes
Ultimately yeah I'd rather just have slightly textured gloss than spend $20-50k a year on ink from the excessive waste I hear about Rolands. Not to mention potential downtime. And you're right, I'm just a worry wart. I think about any downtime I might have, clients shopping elsewhere and being more pleased with their results. But realistically, I've had about one week of downtime in the last 2.5 years and it was an easy fix, so it's not a common issue I should worry about. Sorry, just doing some self reassurance here lol
You sound like me. Most of my work is for cannabis brands and most are not nearly as picky as I am when it comes to the prints I do for them. I bought my UCJV because I was losing customers to others who had a UV and could do the spot gloss or raised prints. I'll never get those people back but everyone that I've done stuff for on my UCJV has loved it and only a couple of complaints but that was due to my inexperience with the machine. I worked in commercial offset printing for 12yrs and my boss would always tell me I was being too critical about a color match, or something that most customers wouldn't ever care about. You can still have high standards but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if your customers are all happy with what you're doing.

RonnyCrack

You sound like me. Most of my work is for cannabis brands and most are not nearly as picky as I am when it comes to the prints I do for them. I bought my UCJV because I was losing customers to others who had a UV and could do the spot gloss or raised prints. I'll never get those people back but everyone that I've done stuff for on my UCJV has loved it and only a couple of complaints but that was due to my inexperience with the machine. I worked in commercial offset printing for 12yrs and my boss would always tell me I was being too critical about a color match, or something that most customers wouldn't ever care about. You can still have high standards but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if your customers are all happy with what you're doing.
Fair points. Most if not all of the time it's not going to be something my clients notice, so I may as well not sweat it, and just upgrade/add something else to the arsenal in the future if I still feel the need.