• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are there any quality standards?

2B

I'll be the first to admit that the clients budgets dictates a lot of each project.

But even the lowest price level always dictates that when you leave you should look at the installation and be able to point out or and say I did that.

Here is an example of new building installation that I couldn't believe was accepted
f63a4b002ff3d9351f4d0c17b85eed6d.jpg
2ae050d1f800cdae4a38240fc8f925ef.jpg
896c07bbb91bff9a2848fd08fd0dbddb.jpg
0d07d45244763807b378565c3f2aeb1e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Someone just wanted to show off their tiling capabilities with no concern for aesthetics or application.

CanuckSigns

Looks fine to me. Nothing to do with me, so its good. Have seen far worse.

I'm glad somebody said it, I was looking for 5 minutes to try and see the issue with these 2 examples, aside from the gap between the panels being a bit on the large side, I think it looks fine, much better than a lot of stuff you see.

2B

In addition to the gap in the substrate, there is the fact that the vinyl seam is not in the substrate seam.
Personally would had used pop rivets and then cover the heads with vinyl to the background colors to hide them

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I always tile semetrically...they should of split it in the middle and seam vinyl WITH the substraite. Paint screw heads at a minimum

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There actually is a quality standard for various construction details. I have to add the specifications on larger projects to keep sign shops honest .
ASTM International - Standards Worldwide

I believe these signs would pass that standard I think I would prefer to do better work than that

v0y4ger

It would be interesting to know what sub they used and the overall size. One piece is always better if at all possible. I get it with vinyl overlaps. If using Polymeric (the bare minimum on an outdoor installation) any overlaps should be no more than 5mm or the shrink rate of the media.

That said, some customers insist on using their own sub. If the finish is going to be poor I’d rather refuse the job than have my name associated with it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You cant read it...but it says...in navy blue 60s style hippy font.." Po Boyz Signs" and his phone number...not straight and not centered... ::sigh::

8z7dC43jYZVwzwhRClKSe8FUpej_xa80j_IqElR6lcN2-_Y_81WJm78PhoOJdPf0ipT80GFzKp5vEE7Op_ofwtHw0T5fNJEc01H5AqOK3pN00INQ2CFBZhyQrS3rfdI266r_NJctgWhDd-x2kb1LLlLVR3vH3zHT-6ZVKfX_DY1EFlBgApgCEnGdglSMn6OhdD7BeCK7u5WR5mtDPwKqj-5jUZlLsmnjHlLnQPcD0TKQ0ecPEJY2RLPVkzssAVOO_XMFQfhApulOVaHibmeK6GgbpUk4XPDB0NKWQhTPK_Lgr3NmwvndtX_4xYW0hPSASiZnkpGlInHfkaLZIACABgyPph5-zv9BkTKt91Hbm2o1zSnh3TC8rhbE8DQuwKHhKh17ID30-62TeO5ArthYKaCEJELGLXHo9IXtNaehQ4tNjgTzGUBy3Syah4OZa_TeZgPI6G1dIN_7OJ2tyyAJfDdCufrbEfl3OBRrwNfJO60m_AC1IkjsnKpWc5TQbty1LJOHvg_S9aRtLyumkKLEfXGE8L_cgYTfnSOl8cBUC3nOPxm5wgSNhpt1ZuF8mb5wj_42hozfXIiz7QTsk_WMeebEPkSt4weBxKKyQ77LIISYoJ6eFV-aK2_fO88wXl3rUdr_anVf2EIKH9kstPfxXk0tUZWwQoM0_A=w715-h535-no

Billct2

Sloppy install and I would never do work that looked like that...but at least it's well secured. Sometimes we're amazed with what other sign companies get away with. Our regular customers have come to expect a certain level of quality and that's why they keep coming back and refer others to us. It's also why I had bidding on jobs where the client dosn't know the product and only interested in the cheapest price. We bid on a fascia re-skinning that included wrap around graphics. My bid was for an architectural panel system that would have had no visible fasteners. They got cheap acm panels with random puckered screws through the face....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, if ya really wanted to help the sign industry, you'd reach out to the company who did that sign and get them to join s101. Then, they could learn from all these professionals how to do it correctly. :eek:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I wouldn't call this a great install, but it's not horrible enough to call it out on signs101, there are much worse.

besides, it's freakin China Freight, their standard is to be substandard. (yet I just spent $43 there this morning! poly rope, zip ties and a couple solid wheels for my dolly...sick of them being flat all the time)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I should have stopped and gave him a business card and pitched the benefits of a good vehicle wrap.

Yeah right..... he just saw you taking pictures of him and now you wanna pull him over. He'll cap your a$$ thinking it was road rage, knowing he'd be right.