• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are there good Illustrator tutorials for beginners

Gary Wiant

I've been using Signlab / FlexiSign for almost 30 years, but I'd like to start to learn Adobe Illustrator. I'm planning on purchasing the full Adobe cloud suite. While doing research I've found a lot of specialized tutorials but I'd like to find some basic tutorials showing basic functions, features & tool locations / features

Thank you
Gary

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Adobe has lots of tutorials built into Creative Cloud. There is a tutorials button in the Creative Cloud desktop app that points to tutorials for all apps online. You have to be signed into your CC account to access them though. The Illustrator page has a bunch of different tutorials. Many of them are project-based. There is a toggle button for skill levels (all, beginner, intermediate, advanced).

There are many how-to videos for Illustrator on YouTube, including lots of getting-started videos for beginners. Some videos are better than others.

Adobe's user forums are a good resource. Quite a few experienced users and community experts help out there.

visual800

instead of you wasting money with their cloud hows about finding an older version of liiustrator on cd, do you reallt need the whole suite?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Old Creative Suite era versions of Adobe Illustrator have serious limitations compared to the current Creative Cloud version. It has been nearly 12 years since the last CS version (CS6) was released. Quite a few features have been added to Illustrator since then.

Much of the corporate world has its branding assets developed using Adobe Illustrator. Most of these logos tend to be "flat" in their design (flat colors, no effects or embellishments). That kind of artwork can usually be imported into non-native graphics apps (CorelDRAW, Affinity Designer, etc) accurately. But when they start baking certain kinds of gradients, transparency effects, transparency blending modes or other kinds of Illustrator-centric effects into the artwork it creates big problems for non-native apps. It really requires a current version of Illustrator to open those kinds of art files successfully.

Anyone who doesn't need to handle customer provided artwork, particularly artwork from big companies, can get by without Adobe Illustrator. They can use whatever software they want. I rely on Adobe Illustrator frequently for accurately opening corporate artwork and I often use Astute Graphics' Vector First Aid plugin for Illustrator to automatically fix problems in assets harvested out of PDF files. Technically PDF is not supposed to be used for further editing of artwork. But often that's the "best" thing we can get from a client. It's better than some dopey pixel-based image in PNG or JPEG format.

Aside from that issue there are certain things I really like in Illustrator that aren't found in rival apps. The current version has some pretty useful features that won't be in any old "CS" version.