• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are we green yet?

heyskull

I have yet to find a customer ask whether we are eco friendly?...
They seem more interested in price....

SC

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
As the saying goes, "reality has a liberal bias". I'd like to see citations on which parts of "al gore's global warming crap" have been debunked. While you try to find a legit source, here's a study a climate skeptic scientist hired by the Koch Brothers undertook on global warming: article link (article written by scientist, study cited in article). His conclusion? Global warming is very real, and very much caused by human actions. A complete 180 from his position going into the study, the data is overwhelming.

The errors in the Algore sponsored model of global warming are legion. For the most part centered around hideously flawed computer models. Even those that created those models admit that they are monumentally flawed.

Regardless, it's incumbent upon those proposing a phenomenon to confirm their hypothesis with something resembling a critical experiment. Something noticeably lacking in the warmistas hypothesis. Piling up what gives every appearance of cherry picked statistics is not a critical experiment. Just a stack of statistics. No one no how is under any obligation to disprove it. So confirm it via critical experiment or put a sock in it.

Climate has been changing since there's been climate. It has yet to demonstrated that the current climate, or the climate at any point in history, is the optimum climate. The planet's orbital variations, axial tilt variations, and variations in that big ball of light in the sky that your tribesmen point at when they're not grooming each other's pelts have far more effect on climate than the relatively puny human race.

Green is as much as a marketing term a is "Global Warming", or the statement "Bad for the environment"

What comes from the earth, goes back the earth.

ucmj22

The errors in the Algore sponsored model of global warming are legion. For the most part centered around hideously flawed computer models. Even those that created those models admit that they are monumentally flawed.

Regardless, it's incumbent upon those proposing a phenomenon to confirm their hypothesis with something resembling a critical experiment. Something noticeably lacking in the warmistas hypothesis. Piling up what gives every appearance of cherry picked statistics is not a critical experiment. Just a stack of statistics. No one no how is under any obligation to disprove it. So confirm it via critical experiment or put a sock in it.

Climate has been changing since there's been climate. It has yet to demonstrated that the current climate, or the climate at any point in history, is the optimum climate. The planet's orbital variations, axial tilt variations, and variations in that big ball of light in the sky that your tribesmen point at when they're not grooming each other's pelts have far more effect on climate than the relatively puny human race.

:notworthy:

signswi

Yes, bow down to the fundamental misunderstanding of the issue.

No one is looking for "optimum climate", that's a nonsense phrase. What the science shows is that our human actions are having drastic impact on the climate in ways that would not have occurred without those actions. At this point it's as much a fact as gravity.

The actions we take today impact others, that's all. My core philosophy is don't be a dick. That includes using resources wisely and being aware of the impact my choices have on those around me and those who will come after me. It's pretty simple.

ucmj22

:notworthy:

signswi

Also just as a note to an earlier point, the majority of American power is produced by coal. Coal plants emit ridiculous amounts of mercury. By using a CFL, even if you just chuck it in the trash when it dies*, you've reduced the levels of mercury released by magnitudes. You've also lowered your active draw on the power grid, which is a serious secondary win as our grids are becoming dangerously stretched.

*Don't do this it's super easy to recycle them, basically every hardware chain does. Someplace sign guys go frequently anyway.

Also just as a note to an earlier point, the majority of American power is produced by coal. Coal plants emit ridiculous amounts of mercury. By using a CFL, even if you just chuck it in the trash when it dies*, you've reduced the levels of mercury released by magnitudes. You've also lowered your active draw on the power grid, which is a serious secondary win as our grids are becoming dangerously stretched.

*Don't do this it's super easy to recycle them, basically every hardware chain does. Someplace sign guys go frequently anyway.

How interesting.

You don't like CFL's because of mercury, you probably don't like incandescents because they draw too much energy? What would you prefer? An LED lamp? LED lamps take more to produce, more energy to produce the individual components. Use 100 watts to save 3 watts, and still not get the equal light output at the end? Besides most LED lamp mfg's are in china who have coal plants. So pollute there and bring here ans say it's "green"?

Mercury is everywhere, it's a natural element (Quicksilver). Mercury is put out into the air when a tree burns, and more get's put into the air than man has ever out in our life time when a volcano erupts. It's put out during natural volcano ventilation. Think of how many volcano's are under water in the Ring of Fire. The fish are still alive and their not popping three heads.

The answer to grid draw, get rid of the environmental wackos so permits can get pulled and more plants can get built.

signswi

Reading comprehension helps. No where did I say I disliked CFLs, the entire post was justification for their use. Herp Derp.

We're in the middle of an epic federal disaster caused in part by record, prediction shattering north sea ice loss and you're all "let's pollute more, that'll solve the polution problem!". Sometimes I wonder about people...

TheSnowman

I've been in business 8 years myself, and my grandparents owned the company 24 years before that and I am SURE that in all those years, we had ZERO people ask about how "green" we were. I'm in a smaller community and no one cares about anything but price.

Do I think that recycling and conserving is good? OF COURSE! Do I think global warming is a hoax, OF COURSE! Anyone remember being scared crapless in the 70's because of an "ice age"...apparently we lived through it.

ramilose

Well, we went Light Green I guess. Our new HP L26500 uses the latex inks and most of the latex rated films/vinyls are ECO rated. None of our cut vinyl is Green, unless you count the green colored vinyls. The HP really does not outgas at all, no fumes. We have an 1100 sq. ft. shop and no fumes at all.

But until they can make ECO substrates that will not degrade over time, the large portion of what we do will still be ECO-unfriendly. I have seen some corn-based polymers that look OK, but they lack rigidity and obviously degrade over time. Isn't that the idea of ECO, every thing doesn't last forever?

ECO is actually anti-durability. So I guess we will just make signs more often. So, how is this bad?

kylekam

Going "Green" today is needed for our world. We're currently experiencing such monstrous tragedies that mother nature are bestowing upon us. Especially here in Asia, countries here often experience flash floods brought by both weak and strong rain. I just admire companies right now that are going green for the sake of the planet. Does anyone know one? Mine's Custom On It. How about you guys? :D

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber

You forgot the weakening/shifting magnetic field that protects the planet from solar radiation.

Going "Green" today is needed for our world. We're currently experiencing such monstrous tragedies that mother nature are bestowing upon us. Especially here in Asia, countries here often experience flash floods brought by both weak and strong rain. I just admire companies right now that are going green for the sake of the planet. Does anyone know one? Mine's Custom On It. How about you guys? :D

Yeah, rain and floods is happening because we wash our cars in the driveway and because some like myself don't recycle can and bottles. Oh, don't forget the plastic grocery bags that I ask for at checkout.

kylekam

Yeah, rain and floods is happening because we wash our cars in the driveway and because some like myself don't recycle can and bottles. Oh, don't forget the plastic grocery bags that I ask for at checkout.

Definitely, plastic trash are the number one cause of floods. We should be responsible enough to know where we will store our trash. Lesson learned. Right, Buddy? :)

visual800

"Being Green" is an overused BS term that amounts to nothing but advertising hype. I have placed the term and the stupid leaves on logos and done this and that. I don't fall for BS like this. Its just another "fad"

We do recycle all of our metals in the shop. But as far as any other waste no one around here will take them. Paper compnaies do not want the vinyl backing nor the transfer tape. No one around here wants plastic or PVC we have tried. The city however will take plastics but I dont know where they take them

Pete Moss

I always find it strange when people turn this into a political issue. 97% of Climate Scientist agree that global warming is most likely a result of human carbon emissions. If you were to say that this is a liberal belief, you are asserting that their are no conservative Climate Scientist involved in this 97%. That, my friend is insulting to your own political party. This is not a political issue, it is a environmental one and possibly cultural.

We use earth smart material for all of our display banners, we offer banner material that is made from 100% recycled water bottles and is recyclable. We try to conserve material whenever possible for both financial and eco reasons. We are always looking for more eco smart products. Not because of political views but because we care about the planet.

Pete Moss

Yes, bow down to the fundamental misunderstanding of the issue.

No one is looking for "optimum climate", that's a nonsense phrase. What the science shows is that our human actions are having drastic impact on the climate in ways that would not have occurred without those actions. At this point it's as much a fact as gravity.

The actions we take today impact others, that's all. My core philosophy is don't be a dick. That includes using resources wisely and being aware of the impact my choices have on those around me and those who will come after me. It's pretty simple.

Yes indeed. Let's not argue with science, you'll only end up looking ignorant. How do you feel when someone illiterate in design or sign making tells how that you are doing it wrong? It is no different then assuming science is flawed with climate research. It's just honest math people.