Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we still charging for additional colors

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by juan45215, Jul 18, 2012.

1. juan45215

juan45215 Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Cincinnati OH
    I decided to drink the Signvox koolaid. It's taking frickin forever to enter all the products. Then I was trying to figure out how to charge for additional colors and I realize that about 80% of our signs are printed so is there any need to have an up charge for additional colors.

Is anybody still charging for additional colors?

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    The only time I charge for extra colors is for screen printing

3. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Well ya can charge what ya want.

But look at it this way... Do your customers come to you for advertising or letters on a board.

I'm in this business because of my advertising ability, many times customers come to me not because I'm the cheapest or cheaper, but after I'm done with the sign, it starts to pay for itself with profit.

Now how do you sell... option A .. simple 1 color layout,
    ... option B .. simple layout with more complex effort & colors added maybe
    ... Option C.. highly complex with color

4. 4R Graphics

4R Graphics Active Member

Jan 28, 2008
    We print most everything and price it based on materials and ink plus labor and design etc....

As for charging for extra colors we still do on multi layered cut vinyl stuff but we dont do much of it and we try to sell print stuff when we need more than one color. Easier for us all the way around.

5. Kevin-shopVOX

Kevin-shopVOX Active Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Maine
    For digital printing I would say charging for additional colors is silly unless you have specific types of inks beyond the CMYK,Lc,Lm range that make sense to do so..such as white or metallic.

However if it is digitally printed then I would certainly charge for a higher quality print over a hi-speed print. There is more ink consumed and time needed to produce the print and I would charge accordingly.

If it a vinyl or screen printed job I would charge per color. In signVOX you can add second colors as 2 vinyls or as an enhancement. I prefer to do it as a second vinyl as that specific color/vinyl will show on a work order.

edit: if you are not doing so, don't forget to use the copy feature on your items your are building so that you can quickly create like items, changing only name and $ typically.

6. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    The only time I charge for "extra colors" is when I print with my EdgeFX, I just add to my SF price when there are multiple foils involved.

7. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Sometimes we will do it for embroidery if the pattern requires us to switch out colors on the needles while the pattern is stitching out.