• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arial vs Helvetica

Baz

That was really easy. Got 19 out of 20. I got Toyota wrong ... But i did guess Mattel right.

Big differences between "s,c,e,t" or "R,G" ... if any of those were present then it was a no brainer.

gabagoo

I missed 2, but in those circumstances the kerning was done properly. I have seen Ariel used so much and so awful as far as kerning goes. I have no idea why it does not auto kern properly, but I never use it unless I am duplicating something.

The numbers on trucks is sickening the way they kern and the fact that signage people or designers make no attempt to correct it.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
i read somewhere that Microsoft was trying to avoid licensing fees associated with Helvetica vs Arial way back with Windows 3.x. Apple chose Linotype's Helvetica and MS went with Monotype's Arial to avoid paying those fees. Windows of course had a much higher user base and with Arial being a default font it became ubiquitous

Helvetica has it's faults too. Helvetica Neue is actually a better version