• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

arlon 3170 laminate

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
3270 is the laminate to use with Arlon SLX, not 3170 - though 3170 has a great price point and is an 8year laminate, it was not designed to be used with cast digital vinyl. 8508 is only 4year and meant for flat areas and simple curves - 8518 is the better laminate and is 8 year. You want really good laminate, use Oraguard 290 - that is a 10year laminate good for wraps and simple stuff. If you want a great price on quality, consider General Formulations GF831 - 8 year, good price point, American made by an American company with zero debt, made to work with digitally printed wrap vinyl (solvent, latex, UV) as well as flat substrates, like ACM. Another we like is Briteline WrapCast Optically Clear Overlaminate - great price point, works on printed wrap vinyl, is a 7year, and as I understand it may actually be 3M 8518. These last two are close in price to the 8508 and 3170, but better quality.
according to some of the grimco reps that brightline is actually arlon. I think grimco reps tell us anything to get the sale.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
But do they smell the same?
Nope. Got both here. The BL isn't as shiny (probably since it is paper backed) and the 3m 8518 is a tad bit more yellow. Unless it's 8508 but the core is still different, the label inside is different. I didn't see any mold splotches on the BL either like every single roll of 8518 has at the end. Seems more like 3270 to me

Notarealsignguy

I don't know if it's mold, but we get the splotches at the end of every roll of 8518 too.
I have a 30" roll for reflective with marks that look like pinch rollers through the whole thing. Tried to get it replaced and that wasn't happening, it's pretty ridiculous. When I went for the smell check earlier, I noticed I have about 5 short rolls with the splotches, not real sure why I'm keeping them. For as expensive as it is, it kind of sucks to have to trash 20 feet from every roll or ruin a print if you miscalculate the roll. I did that a few weeks ago.

signheremd

Is it? The tube, box, plastic end caps and backing are all different than 8518 from what I recall.
8518 has a polyester liner, so does Briteline Optically Clear WrapCast Overlaminate which is what we use. 8508 has a paper liner and so does Briteline Gloss WrapCast Overlaminate.

signheremd

Well that's what I was saying. If he's right that briteline cast is 3M, which I doubt, maybe it is 8508. They say that's cast but it's junk.
I agree that 3M 8508 is junk - Tried the Gloss WrapCast Overlaminate once during Covid and didn't like it, enough so I never bought it again. But I never compared to 8508 as used that once too and didn't like it. But my rep is reliable and I believe the 3M connections and Arlon connection he told me about. That said, I think the intermediate vinyls are likely general Formulations. I know the Briteline WrapCast vinyl is a different shade of white than Arlon SLX+, which we use, but doesn't match the new General Formulations 830 Wrap Vinyl for hand feel, thickness, and workability on the vehicle. (BTW, I really like the new 830 for a wrap vinyl.)

JBurton

Signtologist
I get how someone like walmart and their great value brands work, and at that scale it makes sense to corner every edge of a market, but vinyl being as niche as it is, why would actors like 3m and flexcon (arlon's parent company, who has one of the best roll calculator layouts for dummies as it turns out: https://www.flexcon.com/resources/roll-length-calculator) choose to make second rate products to be labeled and sold under a competitor's brand? To increase market share against the lower cost competitors? Are they afraid to 'cheapen' their brand with lower tier products, or are they just running bad batches and selling them to grimco for briteline as a product that is 'as good' as 3m ijwhatever but has inconsistencies beyond what is acceptable for a 3m product?

Notarealsignguy

or are they just running bad batches and selling them to grimco for briteline as a product
Haha nope, they sell their bad products to all of us with the 3M label on it. Media that prints blotchy, blotchy laminate, 8508 which browns as fast as Oracal 210 but they call it cast.

Ron Wade

We used Arlon when we had an HP Latex,had issues with laminate adhesion. One year or so experience with producing latex prints.

MikePro

Briteline WrapCast from Grimco is rebranded Arlon. unconfirmed, but they smell/feel identical and achieve the exact same finishes.

I haven't had any delamination issues with either, but it definitely makes sense if you're laminating to dissimilar media.