• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Arlon 3420 Laminate buckling

Netter26

Hi, so this only happens with Arlon 3420 Laminate, it tends to buckle on the release liner for about the first 12” when I start laminating. Then leaves bubbles on the print in that area. All other brands I’ve used work perfect. Any tips or tricks to prevent this? I run a Seal Base 54.

Attachments

• 7D33BD00-9166-4765-A107-D9C3BB8FD900.jpeg
    7D33BD00-9166-4765-A107-D9C3BB8FD900.jpeg
    680.4 KB · Views: 201

Netter26

Every Roll. Not sure if it's the thicker release liner causing it. I had been using Substance laminate and Oraguard 210. No issues with those. But the last 3 rolls of Arlon I've used over the last 6 months I've had this issue.

Netter26

I usually have the pressure between 60 and 80%. I'll try backing the pressure off and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

Ardor Creative

I've used 3420 for nearly a decade and have never experienced that problem. No solution to give, I've never experienced it before.

mcclaysign

Manager
Hi, so this only happens with Arlon 3420 Laminate, it tends to buckle on the release liner for about the first 12” when I start laminating. Then leaves bubbles on the print in that area. All other brands I’ve used work perfect. Any tips or tricks to prevent this? I run a Seal Base 54.

I think it's because of the paper and humidity. It happens to us all the time but not on our wrap laminate because it is a plastic backing

mcclaysign

Manager
I think this guy's onto something.
How long does the laminate go unused and are you running a dehumidifier?
I always leave enough of a leading edge on my prints to wrap the roll once, partially to protect them and partially out of habit, when we used the arlon gloss 3420, right where the paper and liner met would form a glue line that would always end up in my prints, so I started leaving a foot or so on the end. I don't really notice that effect because I'm looking at the print, but now that Mcclay mentions it, I have noticed that webbing pattern on the takeup reel.

Well believe it or not, my boss doesn't care too much. We never tried a dehumidifier, we just add in extra vinyl to get rid of the buckling and then stick our print in. Most of the time we run a lot and then the next day we run more, so we don't waste too much. I am almost positive it is humidity though because some days it wrinkles a lot faster than other days. If it is really humid out then I would say it only takes about 30 minutes before I have to run another scrap piece through but there have been days where it would sit for a whole day and not wrinkle at all. I think the glue line you mention though will always happen no matter what. When we bought the CWT roller table, that was a small selling point the guy made, that it won't create that line like other cold laminators.

mcclaysign

Manager
Oh, hell no, we switched to satin laminate across the board unless spec'd just to get rid of it! It's also more forgiving for some stuff off our 570. The satin doesn't really cover the line, so much as the line is in the same 'blend' as the satin. Like you can see it in both gloss and clear, but not satin. I swear!

Oh nice, I never really noticed that. We mainly use gloss.

MikePro

I run a 3420 on a seal 54 base on the regular, the backing does seem to peel a bit "less-rigid" I guess but never had that issue posted while laminating.

Netter26

Thanks, I think you're about it being a humidity issue. I've ran the dehumidifier a couple days and has seemed to help it release better.