• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arlon Carbon Fibre WTF

Bly

I realise Arlon's adhesive is a little more aggressive than 3M or Avery but this is ridiculous.
Doing a friend's car roof the other day... hinged in half, laid half gently on the roof.
A few creases so went to lift it up to smooth it out but nup.
It stuck. Lifting with a little more force and it tore right across the sheet.
OK it was a cool morning - about 12deg C - 53F so thought it was the temp.
Had the customer picking it up later that day so I expressed a new piece over, laid it down so carefully
and the same thing happened!. It was warmer in the day - around 18C - 65F.
Their application data sheet says install temp 5 to 30 deg C.

Bly

So we ordered in some Avery CF and it went down like butter.

Put in a claim for a refund on the Arlon.. will see what happens.

I thought I'd try the Arlon cos I liked their colour change films at a training day put on here by Richie Daize from Arlon.
Still might give that a go on my own car. They do have some nice colours.
The adhesive is more aggressive than the competition but the vinyl is robust enough to stand it.

Bly

So I requested a credit for the unusable pieces of CF... and still waiting.
I was told they'd have to send a sample of the offending film to the States "to check the adhesive".

In contrast to 3M's customer service..
I had a problem with a couple of rolls of 3M print film and they replaced the rolls NEXT DAY and the 3M rep was on our door in a similar time to reassure us we'd be looked after.

Baz

To bad it's taking so long to get a response from your dealer. The "send to the States to check the adhesive" sounds like an excuse to me. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Out of all the air release vinyls i have tried. I find Avery to work best for me. I love their adhesive and how it is very easy to lift up to reposition. And once you got it all down nice and smooth you hit it with the torch and it's stuck on solid.

Good luck.

Bly

Thanks.
Yeah Avery is a breeze to install.
And they replaced faulty rolls without this time delayed nonsense too.

I think if Arlon want to grow their market here, and it seems they do, they need to look at growing their customer service along with the marketing.

worthy1

Part of the prob is you are also dealing with the reseller/distributor not the actual company. I have had the same with a faulty Avery roll and it was replaced overnight but that was the distributor willing to do that and then they go through the hassle with the company. Could have easily been another distributor not wanting to deal with it.

I guess just need to be careful when we put it down to a brand when its not usually the actual brand you deal direct with (not sure if Arlon is the same)

Also I wouldn't expect much in the way of customer service/marketing help from any of the companies. I am flat out getting one company to send me a poster or sticker for our workshop that helps promote their brand which equals sales for them also.

With Marketing these companies usually hit major shows targeted at people in the industry. They don't tend to hit the shows that help raise awareness of wrapping to the general public that again would increase more sales. Basically you are on your own in your area to market, not that I expect handouts but some support would be nice.

Sorry, just an area that I believe all the vehicle wrap companies could improve on. Now Paint Protection Film industry is completely different. Within 24hours of enquiring, I had samples, brochures, posters at my door. I can borrow display stands for shows, they offer to come down and assist, can buy banners etc. CRAZY difference! they even have already made warranty cards. Its that sort of thing that doesn't take much but helps us setup and sell their product which again makes them money.

rant over lol :Big Laugh

Bly

The reseller credited me for the media so it's all good now.
Not sure what happened behind the scenes but it's a happy ending and who doesn't like happy endings?