• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arlon + HP = Bad News Coming Soon?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We run a lot of Arlon DPF8000 here for one customer, that is spec'd by them so we're "stuck" with it. As anyone who has ran this material will attest to - the edges leave some very tacky residue on your printer, floor, hands, tables, etc... So, with the limited "reach" within this printer I am concerned that the internal areas will get gummed up soon. The rollers that the edge of the vinyl rides on already have a "gummy" area on them. Anyone else encountered this yet?

On our Mimaki and Epson the entire "print path" through the printer is accessible for cleaning.

boxerbay

Arlon DPF8000 is a high tack vinyl. All high tack vinyl will do that. We run Oracal 3105HT. yes it will leave a bit of adhesive residue on the printer platen and rollers. we clean using iso alcohol after running a job on it. if not the next job the media will stick to it bind up and not allow the media to slide across the platen and cause a head strike.

bigben

I use general formulation for the high tac and never had this problem (I have a HP L26500). It print like any other vinyl without any residue.

boxerbay

the GF and also the mactac high tac are not as tacky as the DPF8000 or the oracal 3105HT. I know they call them high tack but I dont really see them even close to being were dpf8000 or 3105HT are. We tried the GF and MACTAC because they were cheaper. 3105HT is the tackiest.

r2prints

Same thing happens to me with Substance X1. I thought it was only because I had one roll where the media was thinner than the backing paper, that was not the case. I usually can just clean it by picking off the adhesive with my finger.

Not a huge deal breaker for me, once you hear the media start clicking due to being picked up by the wheel, just clean it while you can!

Also note, I have never had a substrate jam or headstrike due to this.