• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Armature wire?

ScottyAdams

Ok so we need some help/suggestions. We are working on a Donor Tree. The trunk consists of curvy swirls of 1/2 metal ribbons that are riveted together. The leaves are made of 3/8" acrylic laminated with a brushed aluminum face. Each leaf is roughly 4"x10". Each leave will have a cut vinyl name applied to the face. Our idea is to have a hole drilled into the trunk (metal ribbon) everywhere there is a leaf placed. The leaves will be attached by some sort of wire from the hole in the trunk to a hole in the end of the leaf. The wire will allow for each leaf to be angled differently giving an organic realistic feel to the tree. My question is ....what sort of wire would be strong enough to hold the weight of the leaf but soft enough so we can bend and attach each leaf by hand/pliers? Any ideas, suggestions, sources, etc. would be a huge help. Thanks everyone!

ova

I would think the weight of the leaves will determine the thickness. I would use annealed wire. Copper will work, but in time might turn green or black if exposed to a damp enviroment.

Will the tree have branches or just a trunk?

Dave